elderly cat w/HCM & filled lungs

  • Dana Ginsberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi, sorry if I've started a new topic if this one already exists. My
      cat 17 year old cat, Sir Kay, was dx with HCM due to his thyroid
      condition about a month ago, when his lungs filled with chylous fuid
      and had to be drained. He does well, although we've had to have his
      lungs tapped almost weekly since then (we're on our way back to the
      vet today as his breathing has increased yet again.) He's currently
      on thryoid meds & Enalapril daily, Lasix every other day and baby
      aspirin 2x a week. Anyone out there with similar experiance who has
      any suggestions, including alternative and dietary, would be greatly
      appreciated. I know he's elderly and this can/will be fatal, but I
      can't shake the feeling right now that there may be something else out
      there that could help the situation.

      Thanks for reading - I look forward to any comments!

      Dana
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        Dear Dana,

        A quick note as I am quite literally on my way out the
        door. . .

        I believe that several people here who have had
        problems with chylous fluid have had their kitties
        taking Rutin which is available at health food stores.
        Many also have their kitties on spironolactone in
        addition to lasix. I am sure they will chime in.

        You might go to the group site and do a search on
        Rutin to get a quick idea of dosages and places to buy
        it.

        sincerely,

        nala

        --- Dana Ginsberg <dlginsberg@...> wrote:

        > Hi, sorry if I've started a new topic if this one
        > already exists. My
        > cat 17 year old cat, Sir Kay, was dx with HCM due to
        > his thyroid
        > condition about a month ago, when his lungs filled
        > with chylous fuid
        > and had to be drained. He does well, although we've
        > had to have his
        > lungs tapped almost weekly since then (we're on our
        > way back to the
        > vet today as his breathing has increased yet again.)
        > He's currently
        > on thryoid meds & Enalapril daily, Lasix every other
        > day and baby
        > aspirin 2x a week. Anyone out there with similar
        > experiance who has
        > any suggestions, including alternative and dietary,
        > would be greatly
        > appreciated. I know he's elderly and this can/will
        > be fatal, but I
        > can't shake the feeling right now that there may be
        > something else out
        > there that could help the situation.
        >
        > Thanks for reading - I look forward to any comments!
        >
        > Dana

        (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          Dana,

          Welcome to you and Sir Kay! I am so sorry to hear about Sir Kay's condition. To get right to the point, there have been a few of us that have fought the chyle battle. Most vets do not know or recommend what we do. When my Angel Alec developed chyle in his pleural cavity, this group recommended to me to use a substance called Rutin. Angel Alec did not have enough time to let it work because he had other problems but there are cats in this group that it has worked for. Rutin is a natural substance taken from plants (to say it in very layman like terms). I recommend the GNC brand. If you don't have a store near you, go to www.gnc.com . It comes in 500mg tablets (they are too big to pill) that can be easily crushed and added to soft treats or meat only baby food. Depending on Sir Kay's size and because you probably want to be aggressive right now, I would give 500 mg a day spread out in 2-3 doses per day. It may take anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple of months to
          completely get rid of the chyle (if it is going to work). It will not interfere with the other meds that Sir Kay is on. You will probably need to keep up the chest taps until the rutin starts working. I hope Sir Kay is OK with chest taps, my Angel Alec really fought them even with sedation.

          There are other supplements that we recommend for heart kitties but you may want to get the chyle under control first. Please keep us informed of Sir Kay's condition and ask any questions that you may have (even if they aren't heart related because they often are), we will help in any way that we can. We all understand the worry and desparation that comes in finding out our cats are ill. There is hope!

          Our thought are with you two!

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • Sue at MAGDRL
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            Dana,

            I believe that Meredith's Monkey had to deal with chyle for a while. They
            did chest taps (it's in the chest - not the lungs). She started Monkey on
            spironolactone and rutin. "Spiro" is a prescription diuretic. Rutin is a
            supplement that you can get at the health food store, but the brand most
            recommended is the GNC house brand. The recommended dose is 500mg daily.
            It takes a while to work, but it does work.

            Sue

            > Hi, sorry if I've started a new topic if this one already exists. My
            > cat 17 year old cat, Sir Kay, was dx with HCM due to his thyroid
            > condition about a month ago, when his lungs filled with chylous fuid
            > and had to be drained. He does well, although we've had to have his
            > lungs tapped almost weekly since then (we're on our way back to the
            > vet today as his breathing has increased yet again.) He's currently
            > on thryoid meds & Enalapril daily, Lasix every other day and baby
            > aspirin 2x a week. Anyone out there with similar experiance who has
            > any suggestions, including alternative and dietary, would be greatly
            > appreciated. I know he's elderly and this can/will be fatal, but I
            > can't shake the feeling right now that there may be something else out
            > there that could help the situation.
            >
            > Thanks for reading - I look forward to any comments!
            >
            > Dana

          • protectanimals
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
              Hi Dana,

              I am sorry to learn about your Sir Kay having to deal with the chyle
              fluid build-up and regular chest taps. I guess you don't need me to
              tell you this will be a huge challenge in your life.

              My cat Monkey who died yesterday had a bunch of chest taps this
              summer, and the fluid was chyle. She was placed on Rutin 500 mg. and
              I think it did the trick. It's a very large pill, but it's soft and
              easily crushed into a powder. You can fit 500 mg. into 3 #3 size gel
              caps and then give it throughout the day. I used to give it to
              Monkey 2 gel caps at night and one in the a.m. unless I got
              a "feeling" to give her one of the night ones early evening.

              Monkey also had spironolactone added to her med regimen. Spiro is
              another diuretic like Lasix, but I learned on this group that they
              have a synergistic effect. My vet was very conservative about the
              dosages because Monkey also had kidney disease, but....she taking 1/2
              lasix daily and she was taking 1/6 of a spironolactone twice daily.

              You might consider getting a baby scale that is digital and that
              weighs down to ounces. You can eventually learn your cat's weight
              patterns and maybe catch in time to get to the vet for a tap before
              the breathing becomes too much of a problem.

              I think the regular chest taps bought Monkey some time in order to
              give the Rutin time to work. I hope the same for you. But the most
              important thing to remember is to treasure and appreciate every
              precious moment. We never know how many we have left, even with our
              seemingly healthy cats and even with the people in our lives.

              Please keep us updated as you are able; I know you must be
              overwhelmed and exhuasted.

              Meredith

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Ginsberg" <dlginsberg@...>