Re: [FH] saddle thrombus

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi,

      I agree with Leah that your cat needs to see the cardiologist ASAP. It
      seems you've already seen someone for the clots since he is on heparin and
      plavix. Usually it's just one or the other. My girl is on lovenox which is
      a cousin of heparin (low molecular weight heparin - has fewer side-effects).

      If he's not in pain, it can be treated. Meredith's Monkey fully recovered
      from a saddle thrombosis over several months. Unfortunately, Monkey just
      passed on yesterday from other issues.

      Does your cat need diuretics? An hour isn't all that bad to travel. Just
      be sure that YOU are calm.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        My cat Isabel has had, survived and recovered from
        saddle thrombi.
        The last one, she was given Lovenox (after the
        heparin) and it did wonders. Some doctors think it
        dissolves the clot in addition to preventing future
        clots.

        It took her almost two weeks to gain full use of her
        legs and there were days with no progress and then
        days with tons. It is emotionally WRACKING to watch
        them learn to walk again.

        As she recovered she was also started on Atenolol to
        treat the underlying heart condition.

        She was 3 when she had the last thrombus and is now 5.
        She received daily Lovenox for one month after the
        clot, but now just Atenolol.

        It was a very hard for me to help her recover, but she
        did it and I am really glad (obviously). The vets
        always suggest putting the cat down, and I have no
        idea why I didn't follow their advice. Isabel had a
        LOT of pain medication (they taped a patch to her
        neck) which helped her to get through it.

        Good luck!!
        Write if you have any questions.

        Christina (for Isabel, whose heroine was always Monkey)
      • protectanimals
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          I'm really sorry to hear that you and your kitty are going through
          dealing with a saddle thrombosis. My cat Monkey had one at the end of
          March 2005 and she survived and learned to walk again and lived until
          yesterday....it took her longer to get full use of her legs back than
          it took Isabel who you read about in an earlier email. It took Monkey
          about a week to get pulse back into her left leg and function returned
          around then too. But she dragged the right leg around behind her for 5
          months and progressively put pressure lower and lower until mid-August
          of 2005 she had full use of that leg again.

          For some strange reason, Monkey never had pain (her vet says so too),
          which is very not typical. I hope your cat isn't dealing with pain,
          usually there is so much pain they need to be euthanized. Since your
          cat has lived through clot for now, at least there is a chance, you
          have some hope. No one really wants to give false hope, though; Isabel
          and Monkey are unusual cases, most that have saddle thromboses do not
          survive long, but hopefully your cat will be another of the very lucky
          ones.

          Monkey also used Lovenox and took it daily until the day she died.
          Plavix is supposed to work similarly to Lovenox. Monkey never took
          Plavix, but my sister's cat does and just recently survived a clot to
          the front leg. Others here may mention Nattokinase, an enzyme you can
          get at the health food store. Nattokinase is supposed to have clot-
          busting abilities. There is a paper about it in the files. Monkey
          never took it, because her vet didn't want her to. Since Monkey was
          doing so well without it, I respected her vet's recommendation, but had
          she not done well, I would have had to revisit the idea. If you get
          Nattokinase, get it without Vitamin E. Vitmain E is an anti-coagulant,
          and your cat is already on anti-coagulants---you don't want your kitty
          to go the opposite way and bleed out.

          I have to agree with the recommendation to get your cat to a feline
          cardiologist, and I think an hour isn't too long for your cat to travel
          as long as your vet says it's ok. I can't be a hypocrite, though, and
          say you MUST see a cardiologist, since Monkey never did. But I think
          her situation was unusual. Monkey had extraordinary local vets who
          were very well-versed in ultrasound and had a close consulting
          relationship with cardiologists about Monkey's case. You do want to be
          sure your cat's underlying heart disease is properly diagnosed and
          treated, and if your cat has hypertropic form of cardiomyopathy, you
          also want your cat tested for hyperthyroid. Hyperthyroidism can cause
          the hypertropic cardiomyopathy and treating the thyroid in that case
          can help the heart. Although I do add that Monkey was treated for
          hyperthyroidism for years and still eventually developed the clot and
          other complications of heart disease.

          In order to take care of your cat, you will need to be up for the
          challenge of the nursing care and willing to spend the money on the vet
          care and meds. Unscented baby wipes can help after pottying. I took
          the litter out of the box for awhile and put puppy wee-wee pads in the
          box. That soaked up urine immediately so the cat wouldn't get soaked.
          I also built up an area with blankets around the litter box so Monkey
          could get herself into the box. The blankets were level with the top
          of the box and Monkey stayed pretty much on the blanketed area.
          Actually, to tell the truth, my mattress stayed on the floor for about
          five months and the blankets were level with the mattress and the
          litter box (we slept on the floor for those 5 months) At first, I
          would have to lift her from the box afterward, cause she had no energy
          left after getting in and using the box. Once she had a third leg, she
          got very active pretty quickly and I had to get used to watching her
          run around with it dragging behind her, even jumping off of things.
          She went thru a stage where she would sit and the right rear leg would
          be stretched out directly BEHIND her. It was horrible to behold but
          her vets convinced me that she wouldn't harm the leg, that cats are
          very flexible. I had to keep that leg bandaged and change the bandage
          frequently so that she wouldn't damage it with rug burn or get
          infected. We can discuss the details if you get to that point.

          It is paramount that your cat continue to eat, every day. Others on
          this list can talk to you more about nutrition, but most people on this
          list feed cannned food to their cats. If a cat doesn't eat, they can
          get a liver disease and it can happen quickly (days). So please let us
          know if your cat doesn't eat. Buprenex (a pain med) can decrease
          appetite, so if you see inappetance and your cat isn't eatiing, you can
          talk to your vet about it.

          I can only imagine how exhausted and overwhelmed you are, lean on us
          anytime.

          Meredith

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "scottishbabe777"