Re: [FH] saddle thrombus

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Welcome,

      I am sorry I don't know you or your kitty's name but we are glad you joined. Let me start by saying, ASAP isn't fast enough for you to get to a cardiologist with your kitty! I assume that you went to your regular vet or an ER vet when the saddle thrombosis happened. The meds seem to be in order but you can't be sure until you have had an echocardiogram done. Did the vets give your kitty any pain meds??? I would think your kitty still needs pain meds now. Does your kitty seem to be in pain? This is a very serious condition that should be monitored by someone that knows what they are doing. The cardiologist should be able to consult with your regular vet after the initial visit so that you don't have to go to the cardiologist as often if they are that far away. There are kitty's that have recovered from thrombosis but they do need a dedicated owner. I am sure that you and your kitty can do it!

      Let me reiterate - go to the cardiologist ASAP! Please let us know what happens, we are praying for you and your kitty!

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      scottishbabe777 <scottishbabe777@...> wrote:
      my much loved cat,3 years old, has experienced a thrombus with
      subsequent paralysis of his hind legs, little or no blood flow to
      right and good pinking to left- but no movement at this time, I need
      to have some guidance on therapies - at present heparin and plavix
      also enalapril for his cardiomypathy now for 72 hours - should he see
      a cardiologist asap?, or how do I know he is stable enough to travel
      there approx 1 hour? what can I expect to happen now?

    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi,

        I agree with Leah that your cat needs to see the cardiologist ASAP. It
        seems you've already seen someone for the clots since he is on heparin and
        plavix. Usually it's just one or the other. My girl is on lovenox which is
        a cousin of heparin (low molecular weight heparin - has fewer side-effects).

        If he's not in pain, it can be treated. Meredith's Monkey fully recovered
        from a saddle thrombosis over several months. Unfortunately, Monkey just
        passed on yesterday from other issues.

        Does your cat need diuretics? An hour isn't all that bad to travel. Just
        be sure that YOU are calm.

        Sue

        > my much loved cat,3 years old, has experienced a thrombus with
        > subsequent paralysis of his hind legs, little or no blood flow to
        > right and good pinking to left- but no movement at this time, I need
        > to have some guidance on therapies - at present heparin and plavix
        > also enalapril for his cardiomypathy now for 72 hours - should he see
        > a cardiologist asap?, or how do I know he is stable enough to travel
        > there approx 1 hour? what can I expect to happen now?

      • christina suzanne
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          My cat Isabel has had, survived and recovered from
          saddle thrombi.
          The last one, she was given Lovenox (after the
          heparin) and it did wonders. Some doctors think it
          dissolves the clot in addition to preventing future
          clots.

          It took her almost two weeks to gain full use of her
          legs and there were days with no progress and then
          days with tons. It is emotionally WRACKING to watch
          them learn to walk again.

          As she recovered she was also started on Atenolol to
          treat the underlying heart condition.

          She was 3 when she had the last thrombus and is now 5.
          She received daily Lovenox for one month after the
          clot, but now just Atenolol.

          It was a very hard for me to help her recover, but she
          did it and I am really glad (obviously). The vets
          always suggest putting the cat down, and I have no
          idea why I didn't follow their advice. Isabel had a
          LOT of pain medication (they taped a patch to her
          neck) which helped her to get through it.

          Good luck!!
          Write if you have any questions.

          Christina (for Isabel, whose heroine was always Monkey)
        • protectanimals
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            I'm really sorry to hear that you and your kitty are going through
            dealing with a saddle thrombosis. My cat Monkey had one at the end of
            March 2005 and she survived and learned to walk again and lived until
            yesterday....it took her longer to get full use of her legs back than
            it took Isabel who you read about in an earlier email. It took Monkey
            about a week to get pulse back into her left leg and function returned
            around then too. But she dragged the right leg around behind her for 5
            months and progressively put pressure lower and lower until mid-August
            of 2005 she had full use of that leg again.

            For some strange reason, Monkey never had pain (her vet says so too),
            which is very not typical. I hope your cat isn't dealing with pain,
            usually there is so much pain they need to be euthanized. Since your
            cat has lived through clot for now, at least there is a chance, you
            have some hope. No one really wants to give false hope, though; Isabel
            and Monkey are unusual cases, most that have saddle thromboses do not
            survive long, but hopefully your cat will be another of the very lucky
            ones.

            Monkey also used Lovenox and took it daily until the day she died.
            Plavix is supposed to work similarly to Lovenox. Monkey never took
            Plavix, but my sister's cat does and just recently survived a clot to
            the front leg. Others here may mention Nattokinase, an enzyme you can
            get at the health food store. Nattokinase is supposed to have clot-
            busting abilities. There is a paper about it in the files. Monkey
            never took it, because her vet didn't want her to. Since Monkey was
            doing so well without it, I respected her vet's recommendation, but had
            she not done well, I would have had to revisit the idea. If you get
            Nattokinase, get it without Vitamin E. Vitmain E is an anti-coagulant,
            and your cat is already on anti-coagulants---you don't want your kitty
            to go the opposite way and bleed out.

            I have to agree with the recommendation to get your cat to a feline
            cardiologist, and I think an hour isn't too long for your cat to travel
            as long as your vet says it's ok. I can't be a hypocrite, though, and
            say you MUST see a cardiologist, since Monkey never did. But I think
            her situation was unusual. Monkey had extraordinary local vets who
            were very well-versed in ultrasound and had a close consulting
            relationship with cardiologists about Monkey's case. You do want to be
            sure your cat's underlying heart disease is properly diagnosed and
            treated, and if your cat has hypertropic form of cardiomyopathy, you
            also want your cat tested for hyperthyroid. Hyperthyroidism can cause
            the hypertropic cardiomyopathy and treating the thyroid in that case
            can help the heart. Although I do add that Monkey was treated for
            hyperthyroidism for years and still eventually developed the clot and
            other complications of heart disease.

            In order to take care of your cat, you will need to be up for the
            challenge of the nursing care and willing to spend the money on the vet
            care and meds. Unscented baby wipes can help after pottying. I took
            the litter out of the box for awhile and put puppy wee-wee pads in the
            box. That soaked up urine immediately so the cat wouldn't get soaked.
            I also built up an area with blankets around the litter box so Monkey
            could get herself into the box. The blankets were level with the top
            of the box and Monkey stayed pretty much on the blanketed area.
            Actually, to tell the truth, my mattress stayed on the floor for about
            five months and the blankets were level with the mattress and the
            litter box (we slept on the floor for those 5 months) At first, I
            would have to lift her from the box afterward, cause she had no energy
            left after getting in and using the box. Once she had a third leg, she
            got very active pretty quickly and I had to get used to watching her
            run around with it dragging behind her, even jumping off of things.
            She went thru a stage where she would sit and the right rear leg would
            be stretched out directly BEHIND her. It was horrible to behold but
            her vets convinced me that she wouldn't harm the leg, that cats are
            very flexible. I had to keep that leg bandaged and change the bandage
            frequently so that she wouldn't damage it with rug burn or get
            infected. We can discuss the details if you get to that point.

            It is paramount that your cat continue to eat, every day. Others on
            this list can talk to you more about nutrition, but most people on this
            list feed cannned food to their cats. If a cat doesn't eat, they can
            get a liver disease and it can happen quickly (days). So please let us
            know if your cat doesn't eat. Buprenex (a pain med) can decrease
            appetite, so if you see inappetance and your cat isn't eatiing, you can
            talk to your vet about it.

            I can only imagine how exhausted and overwhelmed you are, lean on us
            anytime.

            Meredith

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "scottishbabe777"