saddle thrombus

  • scottishbabe777
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      my much loved cat,3 years old, has experienced a thrombus with
      subsequent paralysis of his hind legs, little or no blood flow to
      right and good pinking to left- but no movement at this time, I need
      to have some guidance on therapies - at present heparin and plavix
      also enalapril for his cardiomypathy now for 72 hours - should he see
      a cardiologist asap?, or how do I know he is stable enough to travel
      there approx 1 hour? what can I expect to happen now?
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        Welcome,

        I am sorry I don't know you or your kitty's name but we are glad you joined. Let me start by saying, ASAP isn't fast enough for you to get to a cardiologist with your kitty! I assume that you went to your regular vet or an ER vet when the saddle thrombosis happened. The meds seem to be in order but you can't be sure until you have had an echocardiogram done. Did the vets give your kitty any pain meds??? I would think your kitty still needs pain meds now. Does your kitty seem to be in pain? This is a very serious condition that should be monitored by someone that knows what they are doing. The cardiologist should be able to consult with your regular vet after the initial visit so that you don't have to go to the cardiologist as often if they are that far away. There are kitty's that have recovered from thrombosis but they do need a dedicated owner. I am sure that you and your kitty can do it!

        Let me reiterate - go to the cardiologist ASAP! Please let us know what happens, we are praying for you and your kitty!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        scottishbabe777 <scottishbabe777@...> wrote:
        my much loved cat,3 years old, has experienced a thrombus with
        subsequent paralysis of his hind legs, little or no blood flow to
        right and good pinking to left- but no movement at this time, I need
        to have some guidance on therapies - at present heparin and plavix
        also enalapril for his cardiomypathy now for 72 hours - should he see
        a cardiologist asap?, or how do I know he is stable enough to travel
        there approx 1 hour? what can I expect to happen now?

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hi,

          I agree with Leah that your cat needs to see the cardiologist ASAP. It
          seems you've already seen someone for the clots since he is on heparin and
          plavix. Usually it's just one or the other. My girl is on lovenox which is
          a cousin of heparin (low molecular weight heparin - has fewer side-effects).

          If he's not in pain, it can be treated. Meredith's Monkey fully recovered
          from a saddle thrombosis over several months. Unfortunately, Monkey just
          passed on yesterday from other issues.

          Does your cat need diuretics? An hour isn't all that bad to travel. Just
          be sure that YOU are calm.

          Sue

          > my much loved cat,3 years old, has experienced a thrombus with
          > subsequent paralysis of his hind legs, little or no blood flow to
          > right and good pinking to left- but no movement at this time, I need
          > to have some guidance on therapies - at present heparin and plavix
          > also enalapril for his cardiomypathy now for 72 hours - should he see
          > a cardiologist asap?, or how do I know he is stable enough to travel
          > there approx 1 hour? what can I expect to happen now?

        • christina suzanne
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            My cat Isabel has had, survived and recovered from
            saddle thrombi.
            The last one, she was given Lovenox (after the
            heparin) and it did wonders. Some doctors think it
            dissolves the clot in addition to preventing future
            clots.

            It took her almost two weeks to gain full use of her
            legs and there were days with no progress and then
            days with tons. It is emotionally WRACKING to watch
            them learn to walk again.

            As she recovered she was also started on Atenolol to
            treat the underlying heart condition.

            She was 3 when she had the last thrombus and is now 5.
            She received daily Lovenox for one month after the
            clot, but now just Atenolol.

            It was a very hard for me to help her recover, but she
            did it and I am really glad (obviously). The vets
            always suggest putting the cat down, and I have no
            idea why I didn't follow their advice. Isabel had a
            LOT of pain medication (they taped a patch to her
            neck) which helped her to get through it.

            Good luck!!
            Write if you have any questions.

            Christina (for Isabel, whose heroine was always Monkey)
          • protectanimals
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
              I'm really sorry to hear that you and your kitty are going through
              dealing with a saddle thrombosis. My cat Monkey had one at the end of
              March 2005 and she survived and learned to walk again and lived until
              yesterday....it took her longer to get full use of her legs back than
              it took Isabel who you read about in an earlier email. It took Monkey
              about a week to get pulse back into her left leg and function returned
              around then too. But she dragged the right leg around behind her for 5
              months and progressively put pressure lower and lower until mid-August
              of 2005 she had full use of that leg again.

              For some strange reason, Monkey never had pain (her vet says so too),
              which is very not typical. I hope your cat isn't dealing with pain,
              usually there is so much pain they need to be euthanized. Since your
              cat has lived through clot for now, at least there is a chance, you
              have some hope. No one really wants to give false hope, though; Isabel
              and Monkey are unusual cases, most that have saddle thromboses do not
              survive long, but hopefully your cat will be another of the very lucky
              ones.

              Monkey also used Lovenox and took it daily until the day she died.
              Plavix is supposed to work similarly to Lovenox. Monkey never took
              Plavix, but my sister's cat does and just recently survived a clot to
              the front leg. Others here may mention Nattokinase, an enzyme you can
              get at the health food store. Nattokinase is supposed to have clot-
              busting abilities. There is a paper about it in the files. Monkey
              never took it, because her vet didn't want her to. Since Monkey was
              doing so well without it, I respected her vet's recommendation, but had
              she not done well, I would have had to revisit the idea. If you get
              Nattokinase, get it without Vitamin E. Vitmain E is an anti-coagulant,
              and your cat is already on anti-coagulants---you don't want your kitty
              to go the opposite way and bleed out.

              I have to agree with the recommendation to get your cat to a feline
              cardiologist, and I think an hour isn't too long for your cat to travel
              as long as your vet says it's ok. I can't be a hypocrite, though, and
              say you MUST see a cardiologist, since Monkey never did. But I think
              her situation was unusual. Monkey had extraordinary local vets who
              were very well-versed in ultrasound and had a close consulting
              relationship with cardiologists about Monkey's case. You do want to be
              sure your cat's underlying heart disease is properly diagnosed and
              treated, and if your cat has hypertropic form of cardiomyopathy, you
              also want your cat tested for hyperthyroid. Hyperthyroidism can cause
              the hypertropic cardiomyopathy and treating the thyroid in that case
              can help the heart. Although I do add that Monkey was treated for
              hyperthyroidism for years and still eventually developed the clot and
              other complications of heart disease.

              In order to take care of your cat, you will need to be up for the
              challenge of the nursing care and willing to spend the money on the vet
              care and meds. Unscented baby wipes can help after pottying. I took
              the litter out of the box for awhile and put puppy wee-wee pads in the
              box. That soaked up urine immediately so the cat wouldn't get soaked.
              I also built up an area with blankets around the litter box so Monkey
              could get herself into the box. The blankets were level with the top
              of the box and Monkey stayed pretty much on the blanketed area.
              Actually, to tell the truth, my mattress stayed on the floor for about
              five months and the blankets were level with the mattress and the
              litter box (we slept on the floor for those 5 months) At first, I
              would have to lift her from the box afterward, cause she had no energy
              left after getting in and using the box. Once she had a third leg, she
              got very active pretty quickly and I had to get used to watching her
              run around with it dragging behind her, even jumping off of things.
              She went thru a stage where she would sit and the right rear leg would
              be stretched out directly BEHIND her. It was horrible to behold but
              her vets convinced me that she wouldn't harm the leg, that cats are
              very flexible. I had to keep that leg bandaged and change the bandage
              frequently so that she wouldn't damage it with rug burn or get
              infected. We can discuss the details if you get to that point.

              It is paramount that your cat continue to eat, every day. Others on
              this list can talk to you more about nutrition, but most people on this
              list feed cannned food to their cats. If a cat doesn't eat, they can
              get a liver disease and it can happen quickly (days). So please let us
              know if your cat doesn't eat. Buprenex (a pain med) can decrease
              appetite, so if you see inappetance and your cat isn't eatiing, you can
              talk to your vet about it.

              I can only imagine how exhausted and overwhelmed you are, lean on us
              anytime.

              Meredith

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "scottishbabe777"