Found More Maine Coon Info

  • brunobaby
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2001
      And it seems to correspond with our replies here.

      From the Cat Fancier's Breed FAQ:

      Genetic problems generally only affect a tiny minority of the breed as a
      whole, but since they can be eradicated by careful screening, most
      reputable breeders try to track such problems, both in their breeding stock
      and the kittens they produce. By working with a responsible breeder who
      will speak openly about health issues, you are encouraging sound breeding
      practices.

      In the Maine Coon, the most common inherited health problems are hip
      dysplasia, which can produce lameness in a severely affected cat, and
      cardiomyopathy, which can produce anything from a minor heart murmur to
      severe heart trouble. Any breeder you talk to should be willing to discuss
      whether they've had any problems with these diseases in their breeding
      stock, or in kittens they've produced; how much screening they're doing,
      and why.

      "I think my cat is part Maine Coon. How do I tell?"

      The Maine Coon is America's native longhair cat; it evolved naturally in
      response to the New England climate. Your cat's ancestors might be similar
      to the cats that founded the Maine Coon breed. However, it's impossible to
      tell from just looking at your cat if it is related to the Maine Coon or to
      any other breed. Because the Maine Coon is a natural breed and hasn't been
      bred to extremes, there are cats all over the world that resemble the Maine
      Coon. The only way to tell for sure if your cat is a Maine Coon is to look
      at the pedigree.

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      Hmm, "tiny minority," no way to tell without a pedigree. Sounds like the
      same odds as any other cat.

      We'll wait and see how the situation evolves with this little guy by the
      time he's ready for adoption.

      Meanwhile, after all those months caring for a feline heart patient,
      whatever cat I end up with I'll be spending a lot of time watching it
      breathe. <G>

      --Melinda
      Jim, Phoebe, Pongo(RB), & possible Newbie
    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2001
        Hi Melinda,

        Melinda wrote :
        >Meanwhile, after all those months caring for a feline heart patient,
        >whatever cat I end up with I'll be spending a lot of time watching it
        >breathe. <G>

        I know what you mean! Last night Lucy (nine months of age) was sleeping
        on my lap, and she must have been dreaming of chasing a mouse and her
        breathing got sort of faster and harder. I started feeling worried. I'm
        thinking, "Is she breathing funny? Oh dear the out breath seems forced? Now
        what was it again, the in breath or the out breath that is forced when the
        heart isn't right?" And then I'm trying to feel her heart beating, to count
        the heart rate. When Lucy was a kitten she would run around so much and
        wouldn't know when to stop and she would almost hyperventilate. I started
        worrying about her heart. Lucy was twelve weeks of age and just "nutty" as
        kittens can be! But there I was worrying about her heart! Then last night
        before she started breathing "funny" in her sleep, I was thinking, "Her
        breathing seems very smooth". I could hardly see her breathing. I think it
        is probably going to take us some time after losing a cat with heart disease
        to relax.
        Love, Voula.
      • amru@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2001
          Voula, I did that with Cybil yesterday. I got so worried because I thought that
          maybe it would be too much for her lttle heart and then I felt happy because I
          knew that she was really sleeping and relaxed. Love MJ

          Voula Augerinos wrote:

          > Hi Melinda,
          >
          > Melinda wrote :
          > >Meanwhile, after all those months caring for a feline heart patient,
          > >whatever cat I end up with I'll be spending a lot of time watching it
          > >breathe. <G>
          >
          > I know what you mean! Last night Lucy (nine months of age) was sleeping
          > on my lap, and she must have been dreaming of chasing a mouse and her
          > breathing got sort of faster and harder. I started feeling worried. I'm
          > thinking, "Is she breathing funny? Oh dear the out breath seems forced? Now
          > what was it again, the in breath or the out breath that is forced when the
          > heart isn't right?" And then I'm trying to feel her heart beating, to count
          > the heart rate. When Lucy was a kitten she would run around so much and
          > wouldn't know when to stop and she would almost hyperventilate. I started
          > worrying about her heart. Lucy was twelve weeks of age and just "nutty" as
          > kittens can be! But there I was worrying about her heart! Then last night
          > before she started breathing "funny" in her sleep, I was thinking, "Her
          > breathing seems very smooth". I could hardly see her breathing. I think it
          > is probably going to take us some time after losing a cat with heart disease
          > to relax.
          > Love, Voula.

        • diane
          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2001
            Voula,

            I still the same with Kali. She is such as spaz and I always seem to
            catch her as she's on her way to something and her breath sort of
            catches. The vet told me considering the fact she never slows it
            makes sense that I thought it was like she was out of breath. :)

            They also told me kittens hearts beat faster than adults.

            Diane

            >Hi Melinda,
            >
            >Melinda wrote :
            >>Meanwhile, after all those months caring for a feline heart patient,
            >>whatever cat I end up with I'll be spending a lot of time watching it
            >>breathe. <G>
            >
            > I know what you mean! Last night Lucy (nine months of age) was sleeping
            >on my lap, and she must have been dreaming of chasing a mouse and her
            >breathing got sort of faster and harder. I started feeling worried. I'm
            >thinking, "Is she breathing funny? Oh dear the out breath seems forced? Now
            >what was it again, the in breath or the out breath that is forced when the
            >heart isn't right?" And then I'm trying to feel her heart beating, to count
            >the heart rate. When Lucy was a kitten she would run around so much and
            >wouldn't know when to stop and she would almost hyperventilate. I started
            >worrying about her heart. Lucy was twelve weeks of age and just "nutty" as
            >kittens can be! But there I was worrying about her heart! Then last night
            >before she started breathing "funny" in her sleep, I was thinking, "Her
            >breathing seems very smooth". I could hardly see her breathing. I think it
            >is probably going to take us some time after losing a cat with heart disease
            >to relax.
            >Love, Voula.
          • Voula Augerinos
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28, 2001
              Hi Diane,
              Lucy has learnt more self control as she has gotten older. Hehehehe!
              She stops now before she gets outs of breath. Aren't kittens great! How old
              is Kali?
              Love, Voula.

            • mmmbuster@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2001
                Voula/Melinda:

                Your right my beloved Buster died 2 years and 2 months ago needless to say at
                a cat show. And needless to say that I was devested and said that's it I am
                done with this. About three weeks after it happened I managed to walk into a
                show hall for a visit, and with all in the feline fancy they made sure I was
                okay. About a month after that I managed to walk into a hall to show, at
                first it was hard but very one around me helped me out.

                Yes, it does talk along time, for you to get over this, to this day I still
                watch all my cats. Buster mom had to be spayed, because she does have HCM
                and is on medication 1/4 pill twice a day. She was diagnosed two years ago,
                and at times she plays like a kitten. Once a week I think she chases an
                imaginary playmate through the house. And it took me a year to have her
                spayed, because I was scared to death of losing her on the table.

                Mariane Toth
                Meowchi Maine Coons
                Cleveland, Ohio

              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                  it is wonderful to hear that you are such a responsible and caring cat
                  mom....i can sympathize with your feelings of anxiety.....