Not new to list but new cat, sad ending...

  • monamotz
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi, all -

      This is Mona, who has a cat shelter in Florida. I have some personal
      cats who aren't adoptable because they came off the street as
      kittens and didn't tame up enough to be a true lapcat. Morty was
      one of these.

      Last night, as I had adopters over, who were possibly going to take
      3 kittens (!), we heard a horrible pain-induced "yowl" from the
      front room. My husband, Mike, and I looked at each other and
      said "who's THAT?!?!" because it was a voice we hadn't heard
      before. One of our non-talkers, Mortie the Tortie, was panting and
      dragging his back legs. (Mike named him Morton Tortie, Jr. but his
      everyday name was Mortie the Tortie, yes he was a male
      tortoiseshell.)

      He is very feral (hasn't been touched by humans since 2002) and is
      extremely large (over 20 pounds and all muscle). He dragged himself
      down the hall and into the master bedroom, and under the bed! So we
      had to end up dismantling the king size bed to get him in a towel
      and into a carrier.

      At the Emergency Clinic, the diagnosis was Saddle Thrombosis. Due
      to a heart condition that we didn't know he had, he had thrown a
      clot, his legs were cold and there was no femoral pulse. Even if we
      knew about the heart condition and had him on medication, it
      wouldn't have necessarily prevented the clot. Saddle Thrombosis is
      a very painful condition for the animal and the outlook is extremely
      grim. Not to mention that he is feral and we are not able to handle
      him to medicate him. If medicated, sometimes you can buy a month,
      but it is so painful the animal has to be on morphine the whole time.

      We made "the decision" last night at the clinic. Morty was almost 5
      years old.

      Morty was a good kitty despite us never being able to touch him. He
      was getting to where we could walk past him without him scurrying
      into another room.

      This was a new situation for me, I have never had a cat throw a
      clot. I saw the postings for Monkey and clots were mentioned, so
      looks like it can be controlled? I'd like to know more if someone
      has a few paragraphs to post for me?

      Thanks!

      Mona
    • JOAN
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hi Mona,

        I am sorry you lost Mortie the Tortie. I do rescue too and it is never easy wether it is your own, a loving foster or a scared feral foster.

        I am fairly new to all this too. But my Frostie was prescribed 1/2 baby aspirin every 3 days in hopes of prevented a blood clot. He was then seen by IMV who also added the Atenolol heart med.. About 10 days later he had CHF. The IMV thinks he may have had a meteor shower of clots which may have affected his brain and heart at the time. They are not for sure. If he did throw a clot it was not to his legs. It turned out that Hyper-T was probably the cause of everything. But anyways the apirin is to thin the blood in hopes of preventing throwing a clot.

        I hope this helps some.
        Joan, (Meows) My Soulmate - Angel Buzzard (5/1/89 - 9/27/06), Sissie, Rowdie, Lovie, C.C., Frostie, Starburst, (Barks) Silly Willy, Sassie Cassie, Girlie, Blue, Angel Outlaw (10/13/92 - 9/29/06), and all the Foster Furkids.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          Dear Mona,

          I am so very sorry about the loss your Mortie the Tortie...
          My heart goes out to you...

          Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

          On 11/1/06, monamotz <monamotz@...> wrote:

          > Hi, all -
          >
          > This is Mona, who has a cat shelter in Florida. I have some personal
          > cats who aren't adoptable because they came off the street as
          > kittens and didn't tame up enough to be a true lapcat. Morty was
          > one of these.
          >
          > Last night, as I had adopters over, who were possibly going to take
          > 3 kittens (!), we heard a horrible pain-induced "yowl" from the
          > front room. My husband, Mike, and I looked at each other and
          > said "who's THAT?!?!" because it was a voice we hadn't heard
          > before. One of our non-talkers, Mortie the Tortie, was panting and
          > dragging his back legs. (Mike named him Morton Tortie, Jr. but his
          > everyday name was Mortie the Tortie, yes he was a male
          > tortoiseshell.)
          >
          > He is very feral (hasn't been touched by humans since 2002) and is
          > extremely large (over 20 pounds and all muscle). He dragged himself
          > down the hall and into the master bedroom, and under the bed! So we
          > had to end up dismantling the king size bed to get him in a towel
          > and into a carrier.
          >
          > At the Emergency Clinic, the diagnosis was Saddle Thrombosis. Due
          > to a heart condition that we didn't know he had, he had thrown a
          > clot, his legs were cold and there was no femoral pulse. Even if we
          > knew about the heart condition and had him on medication, it
          > wouldn't have necessarily prevented the clot. Saddle Thrombosis is
          > a very painful condition for the animal and the outlook is extremely
          > grim. Not to mention that he is feral and we are not able to handle
          > him to medicate him. If medicated, sometimes you can buy a month,
          > but it is so painful the animal has to be on morphine the whole time.
          >
          > We made "the decision" last night at the clinic. Morty was almost 5
          > years old.
          >
          > Morty was a good kitty despite us never being able to touch him. He
          > was getting to where we could walk past him without him scurrying
          > into another room.
          >
          > This was a new situation for me, I have never had a cat throw a
          > clot. I saw the postings for Monkey and clots were mentioned, so
          > looks like it can be controlled? I'd like to know more if someone
          > has a few paragraphs to post for me?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Mona

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
            Mona,

            What a true hero you are! I am very sorry for your family's loss of Morty. It is so unfortunate that heart disease is such a silent killer. But what a lucky kitty he was to have such a wonderful family to give him food, shelter and love. He couldn't have asked nor wanted for more.

            There have been miracle kitties like Monkey, who just passed away today, who have survived a clot. But they are not in the majority due mostly, in my opinion, to the lack of research in feline heart disease. Most vets, and therefore owners, just don't know how to deal with it. And there is the fact that it is usually a very painful condition that no owner wants their cherished pets to go through. If you are questioning if you did the right thing for Morty - don't question. If you took his best interests at heart in making the decision, then it was right!

            Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Feral or not, he was family!

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

          • Mona Motz
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
              Thank you Leah.

              I have to say I am on many yahoo groups. The outpouring of "family" type of sympathy on this group is incredible. I have had so many responses, and all have made me feel so much better, and not so alone.

              Thank you all who responded. I am attaching a picture of Morty so everyone can see him, he is with another cat so you can see how huge he is (the other cat is an average 7-pounder).

              Again, thanks to all!
              Mona (and Alvin, the other HCM foster kitty in my house)

              Leah Ferron <leahandhercats@...> wrote:
[...]

              Mona Motz, Foster Mom Extraordinaire
              Purrs And Whiskers Shelter, Inc. (PAWS)
              321-752-5120
              We are volunteers and all have regular jobs in addition to doing rescue. So we prefer to email rather than return phone calls, as we can fit this in during our lunch hours, breaks, and late at night. Thanks for understanding! We also DESPERATELY need foster homes, as do all shelters. In 2002 in Brevard County, FL, an average of 500+ cats and 200+ dogs were killed PER MONTH due to overpopulation. Please spay and neuter, and really go the extra mile -- spay and neuter your "neighborhood strays" (call or email us for low-cost vaccine and clinic info). Thanks! =^..^=

              If you can't be a good example, then
              you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
              ~Catherine Aird~