not taking her medicines

  • Cannon,Kimberly
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      I found a pile of pills hidden under the couch that looked like they had
      been spit out by the Q-tip. How can I assure that she swallows them? I
      look in her mouth after pilling her and give her a treat right away but I
      guess she can still cheek them somewhere? She is now being very very
      difficult about being pilled as well. She does have a greyhounds energy
      though :). So could I think on her bad days maybe she has spit out her
      meds?

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
        Kim,

        If you give her soft treats, try smooshing the pills into the soft treats and then Q-Tip would be eating the pill without knowing it. This is how I used to give Alec his pills and it worked 95% of the time. If he did spit out the pill I would just put it into another treat and he would then eat that.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • Cannon,Kimberly
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
          She likes the organic crunchy treats that are cheese by castor and pollox.
          Do you know anything soft that is similar to that she would like?

          If you give her soft treats, try smooshing the pills into the soft treats
          and then Q-Tip would be eating the pill without knowing it. This is how I
          used to give Alec his pills and it worked 95% of the time. If he did spit
          out the pill I would just put it into another treat and he would then eat
          that.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

          _____

          We have the perfect Group for you. Check out the handy
          <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41144/*http://groups.yahoo.
          com/local/newemail.html> changes to Yahoo! Groups.

        • AltaSamz1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
            Try a piller. I had never tried one...thought I was soooo smart and had been
            pilling animals by hand all my life.

            Then there was Duke...the patient from hell. And he taught this ole dog SOOOO
            many new things...

            Why the patient from hell, you may ask?

            Well, he has CHF and he fights his meds and I sure as heck did NOT want to
            stress him out and kill him by fighting with him to shove lifesaving medication
            down his craw. So I was in a really hard place.

            Oh..pill pockets? Morsels of food? Not THIS cat. Nope. Not even KINDA
            interested. Liquid meds? Nope; $160.00 later, and one big bad battle later, I wisely
            saw the error of my ways there too. I was not going to be able to do 3ml of
            liquids twice daily.

            Back to the three teeny little pills he needed; the Lasix, the ACE inhibitor
            and the Beta Blocker. Twice a day. Oh yes, and the aspirin twice weekly.

            I caved in and took the piller home. And have seen The Light. My cat now
            takes his meds very easily and actually purrs throughout the process. It's all
            over in a split second. The aspirin is a liquid, but it's only the 1ml twice
            weekly, and I can get that done pretty fast.

            Try a piller. It may be just what you're looking for.

            Cheers:
            Clu Carradine & the hooligans
            www.AltaSamoyeds.com
            & a cat or three >^..^<