RE: [feline-heart] Maine Coon Question

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2001
      hi melinda,

      i've heard that maine coons can tend towards hcm...however, my vet says
      there is no correlation and that it's only bec most people with maine coons
      have gone out of their way to get a maine coon and are generally more
      responsible pet owners bec they have sought out their breed of choice, get
      better and more frequent vet care for their pet,etc......but he says that
      there is really no correlation ......so, if i were you and i had fallen in
      love with 'yes' i'd just say 'yes' to 'yes'.....he does sound really
      lovely....

      good luck and keep us posted,
      linda and the boys

      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2001
        Melinda,

        It has been my experience that purebred Main Coons (like other large breeds)
        do tend to have HCM. However, finding a trustworthy breeder who is open
        about the cat's pedigree can help reduce the genetic risk of this disease.

        In non-purebread cats, I believe that just because a cat looks like a Main
        Coon (or other purebred) has no bearing on whether or not the cat will have
        the benefits or disadvantages of its purebred look-a-like. Unless you know a
        generation or two of the cat's genetic history, you can only guess at the
        cat's genetic makeup.

        Greg and Mocha
      • Anyes Moscrip
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2001
          > > Linda wrote
          > > > i've heard that maine coons can tend towards hcm...

          I have seen this mentioned before. I had found information on a web page on
          heart disease and breeds that are prone to it. Maine Coon were definitely
          mentioned as being prone to hcm. This was a long time ago... I will attempt to
          find that page again.

          Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2001
            and, then, as recent research is showing most heart disease, if not all, is
            a result of the body's immune system not being able to fend off the
            offending microbes....and some antibiotics have been shown to combat heart
            disease while taking the medications (ex: ciproflaxicin lowers cholesterol
            bec it "kills" , but only momentarily, the offewnding microbes....)

            maybe we should give a round to our furbabies and hope for the unexpected
            best!

            linda