Pepper's latest adventures

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      Pepper has had quite a few "interesting" days. Last Wednesday evening, I saw her working her mouth as if something was stuck. I let it go to see if it would take care of itself but it didn't so we went to the vet on Friday morning. He found a sore and wasn't sure what it was. He said it could be two things - either a sore / infection / tonsillitis or squamous cell carcinoma. A sore or infection would be easy to treat with antibiotics. The cancer is untreatable.

      We started with a week of antibiotics and she goes back on Friday for a recheck. He said if the antibiotics work, then it was a sore or infection. If not, we're in trouble. Her teeth probably need to be cleaned although I'm not going to do that unless they get worse. One thing I thought - the sore is right in the corner of her mouth where I give her the liquid meds. She gets meds five times daily in a total of 7 syringes of liquid. If I poke her in her mouth - even just once in a while - that could be the problem.

      Then on Saturday evening, I realized that my bottle of lovenox was empty and that I'd given her at least one shot of "air". (I've been sick and my mind is foggy). I did have the new bottle. About an hour later, she threw a clot. She started shaking her rear legs & biting at them. She was walking funny and limping. (The temp in all four feet was the same.) I immediately called the vet - the clinic where her cardiologist works is open 24x7 for emergencies. We got there by 11:30pm.

      The observed her for a couple hours. The pulse in all four legs was the same. The only thing we weren't sure about was that her respiration rate was around 54. They had her on oxygen and took x-rays and an ultrasound to check for CHF but her lungs & chest were clear. They finally sent us home at 2:30.

      The good news is that her mouth seems to be responding to antibiotics and she's no longer limping. Looks like the angels were watching over us one more time! We'll know about her mouth definitely on Friday and I will be very careful about her lovenox shots. Obviously lovenox works to prevent clots.

      Sue

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
        Sue,

        I am sorry to hear about Pepper's new hurdles. But knowing Pepper, she will fly through these like the rest. I am glad to hear that the clot is subsiding. Amazing how these drugs work. I hope she is doing OK, keep us updated on her!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          Leah,

          Thanks for checking in! Pepper seems to be back to normal today. Last night I sat down & explained to her that the yucky antibiotics are only temporary and so she's forgiven me and is now sleeping with me again. She really seems to be back to normal! I will be waiting eagerly for her recheck on Friday for her mouth issue but there's no sign at all of the clot. She's really something!

          Sue

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
            Dear Sue & Pepper, Good luck with these new hurdles. I know Pepper
            will be a trooper, she always is. She is my inspiration kitty!!! My
            thoughts and prayers are with you both!!!!
            Love,
            Andrea & Pharo