Re: [FH] Dilated cardiomyopathy- Kimberly's project

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      Jean,

      You may want to check with Feline Heart member Lisa Clarizia. Her Baby Boy defied all odds and he also had DCM.

      Susan

      pjmartin87654 <pj-mar@...> wrote:
      Hi Ruthie,

      I posted this, or something similar, about a half hour ago. I think
      it's somewhere in cyberspace.

      Thanks so much for your reply. I was getting so totally discouraged
      and depressed that I needed to know that we might have Otis with us
      for a while longer. He's not an old cat. His twin brother passed
      away on August 25 2006 from unresponsive-to-chemo lymphoma, over a
      year after he was given just a few weeks to live. I hope that Otis
      can also outlive the odds. No "wheezing" today, and just one spell
      in the past week and a half. The spells only last for about 30
      seconds, but it's quite alarming now that we know how sick he is.

      Otis's heart was extremely large apparently. I wonder if he could
      have a ventricular septal defect. I don't know if an X-ray would
      show this. There was no apparent lung damage on the X-ray. The
      physical exam showed no problems. The vet was relucant to do an
      ultrasound due to potential stress. She seemed to think that he
      could go any minute. He looks a big healthy happy boy. Both the vet
      and my husband and I were shell-shocked at the X-ray pictures.

      What meds and supplements are you using with Butters?

      Once again, many thanks, I will sleep better tonight now thanks to
      Butters.

      Jean and Otis,
      Lantzville BC

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Ruthie"
      wrote:

      > Whatever you do, don't let the vets discourage you. Butters 2as
      diagnosed

      Jean Martin
      Lantzville BC

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ruthie
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        Even though an ultrasound s fairly costly, from $250 to around $500, it is
        your best way to go to determine what is causing the DCM. There are some
        DCM's that can be treated, unfortunately a VSD cannot, and the only way to
        know is through ultrasound.

        Butters is currently on:
        Lasix 1/4 of a 12.5 mg tab twice daily
        Spiro 2 mcg(? not sure of the unit) twice a day
        Enalapril .5 mg twice daily
        Potassium (Tumil-K 1/4 inch strip once a day
        VetriScience CardioStrength 1 capsule per day
        Coenzyme Q10 1 30 mg capsule per day
        Omega Complex 3, 6, 9 1200nit capsule 1 per day

        And lucky butters gets all these in a tablespoon of unsalted butter...boy
        does that make her happy...and one more reason for me to call her
        ButterButt, grin.

        The dosage of the supplements is not changed due to her weight (4.5 pounds
        is pushing it) but the enalapril, lasix, and spiro, and i think perhaps the
        potassium, are reduced because of her weight.

        hth.

        Ruthie and the Pumpkin Patch.

        Automobile - A mechanical device that runs up hills and down people.

        Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.