Re: [FH] Wildfire & Smokey

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hello,

      I am sorry I don't know your name but welcome to our group. I am very sorry to hear about your Smokey and Wildfire (cute names). My Angel Alec had RCM and CRF, and I know how hard it is to deal with these diseases. I am glad that Smokey isn't suffering but sorry she is gone. As for Wildfire, I am not sure you are dealing with cardiac problems or cardiac problems and something else, as well. The CHF you are describing may not be CHF. There are other things that will cause pleural effusion in the chest cavity and abdomen. They may have given Wildfire too much fluids and in her weakened state her body just can't deal with it. When the vet calls you back, ask about what the fluid looked like when they took some from her (which I hope they did). If the vet says that it was chyle or chylous pleural effusion, this can also be caused by such things as cancer as well as cardiac problems. The symptoms you are describing and the test results so far are not necessarily CHF or HCM.
      High WBC and anemia makes me think it may be something else but I am NOT a vet so I could be totally off base. Did the vet say anything about an enlarged heart when they did the x-rays? You may want to ask. If they say no, it looked normal, then I would really question HCM & CHF as a diagnosis.

      If Wildfire does have chylous pleural effusion, we can help give you some information on this. Let us know. If Wildfire does have that much fluid in her chest and abdominal cavity, the lasix alone may not be able to get rid of it. You may need to ask your vet about spirolactone (sp? I never remember how to spell it), which does a better job at getting to pleural fluids. A lot of vets no very little about this drug and don't think it is a diuretic but it is.

      Let us know how things go with Wildfire. I am very sorry this is happening to her. If you do find out that Wildfire has cardiac problems let us know that too and we can help give you a lot if information.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec