Re: [FH] salt in cat food

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2006
      I found it:
      http://www.vetlatranquera.com.ar/pages/wild/small_animal_3.htm

      Our understanding of the pathogenesis and management of heart failure has markedly changed over the last 15 years. During this time we have learned that the heart may fail due to diastolic dysfunction, as well as systolic dysfuncton; that hemodynamic alterations and their managment are less important than the body’s own maladaptive neurohormonal response to a fall in cardiac output; that drugs which improve hemodynamics may actually result in long-term harm; and that the greatest clinical benefits result from therapies which blunt the body’s neurohormonal response in heart failure. In addition, there have been a plethora of new procedures, drugs, and even drug classes introduced for the management of cardiac disease.

      The management of heart failure can be logically divided by the specific disease, its severity, and the type of signs present. Below is a figure outlining the use of drug classes for heart failure, according to severity (NYHA classification) and a table with indications and dosages.

      Exercise restriction is logical in all forms of heart failure and can be progressively curtailed as the disease progresses. Since sodium retention is a major contributor to congestion, dietary NaCl restriction has long been used in the management of heart failure. Recently, it has become clear that extreme sodium restriction actually activates the renin-angiotensin aldosterone system (RAAS) and may contribute to renal dysfunction, particularly when ACE-I are used. Also it tends to make diets unpalatable. For these reasons, I now recommend only moderate salt restriction (e.g. a renal diet); although, terminally, more extreme NaCl restriction (e.g. a cardiac diet) may be necessary. Exercise and sodium restriction are instituted in NYHA phase II.

      nala nala <nala_zq@...> wrote:
      Tallulah,

      I believe this is the article to which Susan refered,
      if not,
      it certainly covers the subject:

      http://www.dcavm.org/04may.html

      It does seem to suggest a moderate reduction in salt
      intake. The article suggests renal or senior diets.

      The NYHA categories mentioned in the article have to
      do
      with the New York Heart Associations standards to rank
      severity of Congestive Heart Failure in people.

      Class I: patients with no limitation of activities;
      they suffer no symptoms from ordinary activities.
      Class II: patients with slight, mild limitation of
      activity; they are comfortable with rest or with mild
      exertion.
      Class III: patients with marked limitation of
      activity; they are comfortable only at rest.
      Class IV: patients who should be at complete rest,
      confined to bed or chair; any physical activity brings
      on discomfort and symptoms occur at rest.

      -Nala

      http://mail.yahoo.com