Heart murmur I'm new

  • Beverly Levine
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hello
      I recently learned my 6 year old Persian cat has a heart murmur..My vet estimated it to be a grade 2.
      He wanted to do an x-ray...but I am hearing..I need to have an echo done..and skip the x-ray.
      He is showing no signs that I am aware of..this was just found accidentally.
      I would appreciate your advise as to where shall I begin.
      I am reading about this HCM...and it is pretty discouraging...and in his case probably genetic..as I recently heard his breeder has heart problems in her cats...grrrrrrr!!!!
      Thank you,
      Bev

    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
        Hi Bev,

        Welcome to the group though I'm sorry you had to join us!

        X-rays are of limited use in heart kitties in terms of imagining the heart
        and telling you just what's wrong with it. All an x-ray can really tell you
        is if there is generalized cardiomegaly (enlargement of the heart) or if
        there's fluid in or around the lungs as a result of the heart disease
        (congestive heart failure/pleural effusion). An echo will tell you all that
        plus it's the only way to properly diagnose what, if any, heart condition he
        has (some murmurs are benign), what stage he's at etc. So, you are
        definitely on the right track there -- he should be seen either by a feline
        cardiologist or by a feline internist with experience in treating heart
        conditions.

        That he's asymptomatic is great, because it's much easier to manage the
        disease at this stage. There is a lot you can do to help him, what he'll
        need depends on what form of cardiomyopathy or disease he may have and what
        stage it's at. This is why it's so important to get him to a cardiologist
        or experienced internist -- many general vets are not aware of the current
        treatment protocols such as prophylactic meds. Aside from meds, you can
        support his general health with diet and nutritional supplements such as
        coenzyme q10 (which many list kitties are on), taurine and l-carnitine.

        Again, welcome aboard, feel free to ask any questions any time ... it's what
        we're here for :)

        Lisa

        On 9/4/06, Beverly Levine <Blevine2@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > I recently learned my 6 year old Persian cat has a heart murmur..My vet
        > estimated it to be a grade 2.
        > He wanted to do an x-ray...but I am hearing..I need to have an echo
        > done..and skip the x-ray.
        > He is showing no signs that I am aware of..this was just found
        > accidentally.
        > I would appreciate your advise as to where shall I begin.
        > I am reading about this HCM...and it is pretty discouraging...and in his
        > case probably genetic..as I recently heard his breeder has heart problems in
        > her cats...grrrrrrr!!!!
        > Thank you,
        > Bev

        "We need another and wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals
        .... In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and
        complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never
        attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they
        are not underlings, they are other Nations, caught with ourselves in the net
        of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the
        earth"

        --Henry Beston, The Outmost House

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
          Bev,

          Welcome to the group.

          As Lisa said, the best thing is to start with a cardiologist or internist
          and to get an echocardiogram (ECG). The x-ray will only tell some of the
          information needed. An ECG performed by someone qualified to treat heart
          disease will give a whole lot more information. You can ask your vet for a
          referral or search for one here
          http://www.acvim.org/index.aspx?id=86

          Plus, most vets don't have the knowledge or experience necessary to do it
          right. My own vet just told me that she never heard of one of the
          medications that the cardiologist recommended. She said there's so much
          information out there that they just can't absorb it all. She's very happy
          to learn but would not have found this information on her own.

          There are different types of heart disease and they require different
          treatments. Once you have a proper diagnosis we can recommend supplements
          to help you cat handle the disease.

          It's great that you found it early since medication will slow down the
          progress of the disease.

          Sue

          > I recently learned my 6 year old Persian cat has a heart murmur..My vet
          estimated it to be a grade 2.
          > He wanted to do an x-ray...but I am hearing..I need to have an echo
          done..and skip the x-ray.
          > He is showing no signs that I am aware of..this was just found
          accidentally.
          > I would appreciate your advise as to where shall I begin.
          > I am reading about this HCM...and it is pretty discouraging...and in his
          case probably genetic..as I recently heard his breeder has heart problems in
          her cats...grrrrrrr!!!!
          > Thank you,
          > Bev

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
            Bev,

            Welcome to you and your kitty (sorry I don't know his name)! I am sorry to hear about your kitty's condition but it is really good that you caught it when it is asymptomatic! Unfortunately, HCM is a major concern for the Persian breeds. There are a few people in our group with Persians with HCM. If the breeder is continuing this cat's blood line and problem, then the Persian community should be told. There is a lady named Cathy in our group that I hope will respond because she knows a lot of Persian breeders and she rescues Persians. Not only is it cruel to keep breeding the HCM line, it is heartbreaking for the owners to find out! My condolences!

            However, you have already been told about the importance of the echo and I second (or third) the idea! It is discouraging to read the information on the web about HCM but we have better stories to tell. There are many kitties in this group that were diagnosed early in life and are still with us many years later. Like you have read from Lisa and Sue, you have found it early and there are supplements and medicines that will hopefully slow the progression of the disease. We can give you that information because a lot of vets and vet cardiologists just don't know about it or don't believe in it. Supplements do help! Ask just about anyone in this group. If you want some supplements information, just email me and I will send some information to you. Stick with this group too. You get the knowledge of people that have been there and the knowledge of their vets. Collectively, we have lots of information. Just post a question and we will let you know what we know. Don't be afraid
            to ask any question, even if you don't think it is heart related because it often is!

            Hang in there and don't lose hope! Get that echo done asap and let us know what they say. Again, welcome to you and your kitty!

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec