Junior not eating much

  • ichiume1
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hey everyone,
      thanks to those that have posted a reply to my message, reading about your kitties has
      helped me a lot and now I have all new questions to ask my vet!
      I'm a little worried about Junior tonight. He doesn't seem to be eating much and I wonder if it
      has anything to do with the benazepril. Junior has never been a big eater but now he is hardly
      touching his food. It could also be the new low-salt food my vet has him on and I wonder if I
      should give him some of the old just so he'll eat. Does anyone know of any good low salt
      canned or dry food (what he normally eats) other then the Purina C/V?
      I'm also worried because he hasn't left my roommates bedroom since Sunday. He just feels a
      bit off to me but I hate to take him to the vet again because it really stresses him out. Any
      advise on what to do next?

      J. and Junior
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hi J (and Junior),

        It's probably a combination of both the meds and the new food. As Sue
        mentioned, a low-salt diet isn't strictly necessary for heart kitties, and
        making sure he eats enough is really more important, so I'd give him the old
        food. But, don't be surprised if that doesn't increase his appetite by very
        much just now ... it usually takes kitties a few days to adjust to the meds,
        during which time they often don't eat/drink much or act like their usual
        selves. What seems to happen is they spend a few days acting funny and
        hiding and then wake up one day and start eating/drinking/running about.

        Lisa