Re: Junior has a HCM and a Blood Clot

  • protectanimals
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      I was sorry to read about Junior's clot, but so glad that function is
      returning to that leg! My cat Monkey has thrown 2 clots, the first
      was to the front right leg, the second was a saddle thrombosis. So,
      unfortunately, what I do need to tell you is that Junior is at risk
      for throwing another clot. I would highly recommend you talk to your
      vet about an anticoagulant to help prevent future clots. Monkey
      takes Lovenox, which my vet learned about through the cardiologists
      at North Carolina State Veterinary School. Other options are Fragmin
      and Plavix. I would definitely ask my vet to research one or all of
      these meds and make a recommendation. Perhaps your vet could talk to
      NC State. I'm not sure if my vet literally talked to them or
      consulted on VIN (a web based site where vets consult with each
      other). Others on this list will recommend Nattokinase, an enzyme
      which has research showing it breaks up existing clots. There is
      information on Nattokinase in either the folder section or link
      section of this group, I cannot recall which. Monkey doesn't take
      Nattokinase cause her vet recommended against it in combination with
      everything else we were already doing. I respected her
      recommendation because Monkey was getting better on the meds she was
      already taking. If not, I would have had further discussions with my
      vet about the Natto.

      Please keep us updated as you can; I know you must be pretty tired
      and overwhelmed, if you are anything like me when it happened to us...

      Meredith with Monkey, a Miracle kitty