Re: [FH] Junior has a HCM and a Blood Clot

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi,

      Welcome to the group. It's very good that the circulation is returning to
      Junior's leg. Clots in the front legs seem to be less common, but also less
      traumatic than ones in the rear legs or a saddle thrombosis. I know there
      have been people on the group that have had experience with clots in the
      front.

      There must be drugs that can dissolve clots but I can't recall what they
      might be. You may find some information by searching the message archives
      on the Yahoo group site.

      There are different classes of medications to control the blood pressure.
      Diltiazem (and Norvasc) are calcium-channel blockers. Benazepril (and
      enalapril) are ace-inhibitors. Atenolol is a beta-blocker. All do pretty
      much the same thing but in different ways. Often they will give a
      comination of these drugs such as a beta-blocker and an ace-inhibitor.

      Different cats have different reactions to the medications so if one doesn't
      work, they can try another. You can read about drugs, their uses,
      side-effects, etc on this site -
      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

      Has Junior seen a cardiologist yet? That may be to his benefit.

      Meanwhile the best you can do is to keep him as healthy as possible with a
      good-quality canned food diet and supplements like CoQ10 to keep his heart
      and body strong.

      Please post any more questions - I'm sure you'll have a lot!

      Sue