Junior has a HCM and a Blood Clot

  • ichiume1
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      last Friday my 3 year old ASH cat Junior stopped using his right front paw. I took him to the
      emergency vet and they couldn't get a blood pressure reading on the foot and determined it
      was a clot. The next morning my vet checked him out and he got a slight BP reading in his
      leg and ordered a ECG. The results came back and his left ventrical wall is slightly thick which
      caused the clot to form. I am happy to say that on Sunday he did start using the leg again,
      though in a very limited way and it obvisouly sill hurts. I have been looking on the internet
      for information on clots and everything talks about rear leg paralasis. Have any of you
      experienced a clot in the front leg? Did it improve? This is all very new to me, in fact I had
      never hear of any of this until last Friday.

      My other question is about the meds he is now taking. My vet wanted to put him on Diltiazem
      but it made him sick, larthic and diarrea. He is now on Benazepril as well as half a baby
      asprin every other day. Has anyone else had this experience?

      Right now I just want to make Junior as "normal" and as comfotrable as possible for as long
      as possibale. Any tips on how to make this happen?

      Thanks very much.
    • protectanimals
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        I was sorry to read about Junior's clot, but so glad that function is
        returning to that leg! My cat Monkey has thrown 2 clots, the first
        was to the front right leg, the second was a saddle thrombosis. So,
        unfortunately, what I do need to tell you is that Junior is at risk
        for throwing another clot. I would highly recommend you talk to your
        vet about an anticoagulant to help prevent future clots. Monkey
        takes Lovenox, which my vet learned about through the cardiologists
        at North Carolina State Veterinary School. Other options are Fragmin
        and Plavix. I would definitely ask my vet to research one or all of
        these meds and make a recommendation. Perhaps your vet could talk to
        NC State. I'm not sure if my vet literally talked to them or
        consulted on VIN (a web based site where vets consult with each
        other). Others on this list will recommend Nattokinase, an enzyme
        which has research showing it breaks up existing clots. There is
        information on Nattokinase in either the folder section or link
        section of this group, I cannot recall which. Monkey doesn't take
        Nattokinase cause her vet recommended against it in combination with
        everything else we were already doing. I respected her
        recommendation because Monkey was getting better on the meds she was
        already taking. If not, I would have had further discussions with my
        vet about the Natto.

        Please keep us updated as you can; I know you must be pretty tired
        and overwhelmed, if you are anything like me when it happened to us...

        Meredith with Monkey, a Miracle kitty