Pepper - Good news again!

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31 5:14 PM
      Hi,

      Yesterday they drew blood. As usual, it was very difficult. The tech's response to seeing Pepper's shaved leg - "there's a vein in there?" Poor Pepper has 3 shaved legs.

      We talked about a urine test and I even offered to leave my towels with them to wring out after drawing the blood. Poor Pepper!

      Pepper didn't have a good day there but the results of the test were excellent! Everything is within the normal range except for amalase which is 1300 (high end of normal is 1200). The cardiologist said they don't worry about that until it's about 2400. Her Bun and Creatin were toward the high end of normal but still within the normal range. Her phosphorus is mid-range. Her T-4 was 1.8 and fructosamine well inside of normal range at 295. Her white cell count was in the top third of normal.

      I spoke with both my regular vet and the cardiologist today. We were trying to determine why Pepper may have suddenly changed her routine. The cardiologist said that if she seems "off" and I feel there's still a concern, then we should do an ultrasound of her abdomen. But her appetite is very good and I don't see anything wrong - just a bit of a difference.

      Since she's negative for kidney disease, diabetes and hyper-T, I'm not sure what else to look for and may have just over-reacted. Maybe she's just drinking more at night instead of during the day. Does anyone have any ideas or am I just looking for trouble?

      One other thing - as I've said in the past, I get the impression from the cardiologist that he is always surprised to see us and to see how well she's doing. My regular vet said she got the exact same impression from his written reports - he doesn't know how she's still going. Hooray for Pepper for showing them all!

      Sue

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        Sue,

        That is really good news about the blood work. Don't second guess your inner voice about something being "off" though. Just watch her closely, not everything shows up in the bloodwork. Poor Pepper for having 3 shaved legs. If she is anything like my long-haired babies, they are very vain about their fur! Just keep telling her how beautiful she is and it will be OK! We love her anyways!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hi Sue and Pepper,

          Yay for Pepper showing them all!! It's great that all her tests results
          were excellent. As Leah said not everything shows up in the blood work so
          continue to keep a close eye on her. Besides watching Pepper's water intake
          also watch her urine output - how much and how often she goes so you can see
          if there is anything out of the ordinary. My vet always does a urine
          cystocentesis right there in the exam room.

          So sorry that Pepper had such a rough day. I'm sure Pepper is still a beauty
          even with her shaved legs!!

          Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

          On 8/31/06, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Yesterday they drew blood. As usual, it was very difficult. The tech's
          > response to seeing Pepper's shaved leg - "there's a vein in there?" Poor
          > Pepper has 3 shaved legs.
          >
          > We talked about a urine test and I even offered to leave my towels with
          > them to wring out after drawing the blood. Poor Pepper!
          >
          > Pepper didn't have a good day there but the results of the test were
          > excellent! Everything is within the normal range except for amalase which
          > is 1300 (high end of normal is 1200). The cardiologist said they don't
          > worry about that until it's about 2400. Her Bun and Creatin were toward the
          > high end of normal but still within the normal range. Her phosphorus is
          > mid-range. Her T-4 was 1.8 and fructosamine well inside of normal range
          > at 295. Her white cell count was in the top third of normal.
          >
          > I spoke with both my regular vet and the cardiologist today. We were
          > trying to determine why Pepper may have suddenly changed her routine. The
          > cardiologist said that if she seems "off" and I feel there's still a
          > concern, then we should do an ultrasound of her abdomen. But her appetite
          > is very good and I don't see anything wrong - just a bit of a difference.
          >
          > Since she's negative for kidney disease, diabetes and hyper-T, I'm not
          > sure what else to look for and may have just over-reacted. Maybe she's just
          > drinking more at night instead of during the day. Does anyone have any
          > ideas or am I just looking for trouble?
          >
          > One other thing - as I've said in the past, I get the impression from the
          > cardiologist that he is always surprised to see us and to see how well she's
          > doing. My regular vet said she got the exact same impression from his
          > written reports - he doesn't know how she's still going. Hooray for Pepper
          > for showing them all!
          >

          > Sue

        • Sue at MAGDRL
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
            Leah,

            Pepper was very upset by having all that fur shaved off. But she knows
            she's beautiful regardless and she's very forgiving. She's more back to
            herself now but is walking funny. I'd guess that she's very sore from them
            trying to find a vein. I gave blood once and they hit a nerve or something
            and it was incredibly painful.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
              Candace,

              I am watching her closely. Her routine is coming back to normal so whatever episode she had seems to have passed. At least I know a few things that were potential concerns are really ok.

              I asked my vet about a cysto and she said that Pepper was too upset and we could do it another time if it seemed like it was needed. Since her bloodwork is all normal then I can't see why they would have to do it.

              Poor Pepper peed on the towels while she was there and I offered to let them wring it out for a test (lol). They declined.

              Pepper is always beautiful to me in body & soul!

              Sue

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
                Hurray for Pepper and Sue!! What a great result, and a nice relief, I
                am sure. There must be some reason for the change in routine, but
                maybe we'll just never know the answer to the question. I know I get
                uneasy when Monkey's appetite drops, cause last time it did it was
                indication of the fluid building up, but now I have to remind myself
                that some days I, too, just don't eat as much! Not that I'm not paying
                attention, but I do need to remind myself to allow for some variation,
                since she's a kitty, not a machine!

                I am very proud of you and Pepper....

                Meredith with Monkey, another Miracle Kitty

                .