Re: [FH] Blaze update - input appreciated!

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006
      Shirley,

      My Angel Alec had RCM & CRF like Blaze. Bloodwork is needed at to make sure that the kidneys are tolerating the diuretics OK. You gave the Creatine value but not the BUN or phosphorus levels or anything else. It would be helpful to know these as well if you could post them. Although there was an increase in the Creatine, the Creatine isn't astronomical. The number is still in a relatively safe range and I have seen much worse. When a cat has RCM & CRF, the usual treatment includes enalapril! Enalapril is actually somewhat beneficial to the kidneys, it is the diuretics that hurt them. However, your vet seems to be worring too much about the kidneys. Blaze is on a low dose of diuretics, now even lower. The kidneys won't matter when the heart gives out or Blaze fills with fluid in her lungs. The heart should be your foremost concern right now! This is only my opinion but I think taking Blaze off Enalapril is a huge mistake. And if the dosage of lasix & spiro wasn't
      dehydrating Blaze but keeping the fluids from retaining, I would be very hesitant on cutting them back. If there is any way to find a different vet for a second opinion, I would. And if the heart rate was too high, why would the vet cut back on the norvasc? This all doesn't make much sense to me!

      As far as the nattokinase, I always gave it with food. I did not know it should be given on an empty stomach. Alec never got a clot even as bad as his heart was with the natto.

      I hope that others will chime in here on this kidney/heart subject, like Linda F. or Meredith, who knows alot more than I do.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec