Re: [FH] What is the normal respiratory rate for an HCM kitty??

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30 6:49 AM
      Andrea,

      The normal respiration rate for a healthy kitty is between 20-30 breathes/minute. You should count when the cat is at rest, preferably when sleeping but not purring or dreaming, as this will increase the rate. What is normal for a HCM cat with CHF really depends. You should still try to get the rate in the normal range but that is not always possible. Usually the HCM/CHF cat will breathe faster. You need to find out what is normal for Pharo by counting several times a day/night to figure out the range. I was able to keep my Angel Alec in the mid to high 20s and I would know there was fluid in his lungs when it got higher than that. Also, when Angel Alec's sides moved in & out more forcefully, then he was retaining fluids too. You just get to know by watching them when there is trouble. It takes time but counting breathes will really help figure things out in the beginning. You said 49 for Pharo - that is kinda high but if he was sitting next to you, I bet he was purring.
      If you sure he was not purring, then he may have fluids retaining and you should ask your vet about it. Sometimes, the lasix meds need to be adjusted. It is a real balancing act figuring out how much lasix is needed but you will start to get it. The first few months after diagnosis are the hardest to figure out what is going on with your kitty. You will probably be working more closely with your vet during this time to get the meds just right. Hang in there!

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec