Re: [FH] Maggie and I are also new here

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2006
      Debby,

      Hello & welcome to the group. You must be taking great care of Maggie if
      she's already 17.

      The medications will often slow the cat down a bit but that varies by the
      individual. The disease progression also varies a lot. It seems that the
      earlier that a cat is diagnosed and put on medication, the slower it
      progresses. There are some cats that have had heart disease for years and
      are doing fine.

      In the beginning, my cardiologist recommended that I bring Pepper in for
      checkups every six months. Now that it's progressed, she's going in every
      three months or more often when we encounter issues.

      As long as you know what's normal for Maggie (respiration rate and movement
      of her sides) then she should be fine. Keep her on a good-quality food and
      supplements to support her heart and body.

      Sue