Re: OT: To Our Kitties & A Little About Buttons

  • illuminatedlady
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 7:18 PM
      Candance,

      Thanks for posting these. I believe these poems were originally
      written in regards to adoption, which, after all, is what we've all
      done with all of our kitties. Adopted them into our families and our
      hearts.

      We lost our cat Buttons 2 weeks ago tomorrow and it's still tough.
      We still have his sister, Patches, and our beagle Cocoa, whom we love
      very much as well.

      It's difficult the pain I feel and deep down I feel a sense of
      depression because I think most people don't expect for me to still
      be mourning and yet I am. I think most people, especially those who
      do not have pets or whose pets are just inhabitants of their home and
      not their hearts, just feel that you should just be moving on without
      another thought, but it's not that easy.

      My husband and I are also struggling with infertility for 14 years
      and with Buttons' death and my turning 40 later this year, & the fact
      that I also lost my grandmother 4 months ago, I just feel really
      down. Our pets are our babies and to lose one, plus lose my
      grandmother and be turning 40 this year and losing some hope about
      our having a child of our own, it's all be too overwhelming for me at
      times. I can't even stomach holding a new baby. My brother's baby
      just turned 2 months and I saw her again today and she's beautiful.
      But I can't bring myself to hold her. It's too painful. Too many
      years of pain and now the pain of losing my grandmother and one of my
      fur babies.

      I am on the Angel on My Shoulder as well as some other support groups
      and it does help. I was only on here a short time. I found your
      group several weeks into Buttons being diagnosed with cardiac
      myopathy and he only lived for a little over a month later. It's a
      long story. I was told a slightly less caustic version of his
      diagnosis by the feline cardiologist, who wrote in his chart that
      survival anything past 4 months would be extremely guarded. I was
      later told by a vet that guarded is VERY BAD in vet speak.

      When I saw the cardiologist in his office, he told us that the goal
      was to get Buttons another 6 months to a year of good quality life
      and that he may be able to survive longer with the right combination
      of meds. We are still unsure as to the exact cause of his death as
      he was able to bring himself back after a cardiac arrest and no
      medical intervention (after 1-2 minutes with NO heartbeat, which of
      course, makes no sense in a cat with severe heart disease).

      I'm sorry. I'm babbling. I will post Buttons story later as I have
      time. Thanks for listening and thanks for posting those beautiful
      poems.

      Debbie

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, nala nala <nala_zq@...> wrote:

      > Go, Candace, Go!
      >
      > I love the affirming nature of these verses!
      >
      > -Nala, Camille and Cozette
      >
      > --- moonpye <moonpye@...> wrote:
      >
      > > For all our kitties,
      > >

      > > Not flesh of my flesh
      > > Nor bone of my bone
      > > But still miraculously my own
      > > Never forget for a single moment
      > > You were not born under my heart
      > > but in it....
      > >
      > > by Fleur Conkling Heylinger
      > >

      > > *The Gift of Life*
      > >
      > > I didn't give you the gift of life,
      > > But in my heart I know.
      > > The love I feel is deep and real,
      > > As if it had been so.
      > > For us to have each other
      > > Is like a dream come true!
      > > No, I didn't give you
      > > The gift of life,
      > > Life gave me the gift of you.
      > >

      > > I believe the above is how most of us feel about
      > > all our kitties.
      > >

      > > The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
      > > is for good people to do nothing.
      > >
      > > Edmund Burke
      > >

      > > Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

      > > removed]

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Catherine Browning
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6 4:55 AM
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "illuminatedlady"
        <Writenpamper@...> wrote:

        > Candance,
        >
        > Thanks for posting these. I believe these poems were originally
        > written in regards to adoption, which, after all, is what we've
        all
        > done with all of our kitties. Adopted them into our families and
        our
        > hearts.
        >
        > We lost our cat Buttons 2 weeks ago tomorrow and it's still
        tough.
        > We still have his sister, Patches, and our beagle Cocoa, whom we
        love
        > very much as well.

        [...]

        I just HAD to respond to this one! Usually I just lurk because
        *touch wood* my four little furbabies are still fine.

        But it's just such a co-incidence -- there used to be FIVE
        furbabies -- a mother (healthy) and her four HCM babies -- Buttons,
        Patch, Claude and Tuppenny.

        Buttons was also the first to pass, unexpectedly on December 19th
        last year. I list their names in birth order, but this is also the
        order of severity of disease. Buttons was the weakest, and patch is
        now the most severe -- though he doesn't know that, and I have to
        watch him when he's outside to stop him from climbing trees!

        Anyway, that's beside the point. It's just funny to see another
        person with a "Buttons" and a "Patch" (or "Patches") in the family.
        The difference is that in my family, Buttons was the girl and
        Patches is the boy!

        Hello from Down Under,

        Catherine from Melbourne
      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6 11:20 AM
          Hi Debbie,

          I know this is such a sad time for you. Buttons' spirit and the loved you
          shared will always be with you. Please do post his story to the group when
          ever you can. Even though I already emailed you, I wanted you to know that
          we are here for you when ever you need us.

          Purrs and hugs to you, Patches and Cocoa