Help..travel questions for cats

  • Cannon,Kimberly
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
      I am going to be going to a conference for work the last week in September.
      The conference is about 6 hours from my home. Now, the question is, should
      I take Q-tip and the other kitties with me.
      Pros:
      1. I can watch her health conditions.
      2. I know she is getting her medicines and eating
      3. Someone will be around her all night every night and she can sleep with
      us. She gets upset when we go out of town.

      Cons:

      Will a drive that long be stressful?
      How will she adjust to the hotel room?

      Other:
      1, I could get a pet sitter, but expensive, plus Q-tip is my cat and
      doesn't really take to other peoples.
      2. My mom could come check on her twice daily, but 1. I don't trust my mom
      to medicate her with all her pills and supplements since she is a holy
      terror to pill, and my mom gave but on medicating her crf cat because it was
      too hard and she seemed to be doing ok without the medications. 2. She
      HATES HATES HATES my mom. She growls and snarls at her. Probably because
      my mom smells like dog. 3. My mom would show up whenever..maybe 7am one day
      and 10 am the next and have a royal fit when I asked her to fit on a
      schedule because she is doing me a favor... Need I go on....
      3. Boarding....No
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hi Kimberley -

        This is a tough call.

        If all your kitties except Q-tip are fine, you might
        consider taking Q-tip but leaving the other cats
        unless Q-tip is particularly bonded to another kitty
        and you think that having the other kitty/kitties
        would be
        less stressful for Q-tip.

        I posted a similar question here a month or so ago, (I
        was planning a short trip and was having a hard time
        finding a reliable pet-sitter (I'd never used one) who
        would be able to come by 2x a day to pill my heart
        kitty. A few people responded that their vet suggested
        they take the cat with them - because they - more than
        anyone else will notice a change in the cat. Other
        people suggested that I ask the vet's techs to cat
        sit - they have experience etc. I started to explore
        that option - but the handful of people I contacted
        were unwilling/unable to help out.

        I asked my cat's cardiologist about taking my cat with
        me (9 -10 hour one-way trip) and she felt that she
        could not recommend it. Her fear was that the stress
        of the trip and the unfamiliar environment would
        precipitate CHF. I would certainly try to track down a
        few vets along the route and in your destination town.
        Some of the people subscribed to this group were able
        to recommend vets to me.

        Given the circumstances, I decided to take my cat ,
        but at the very last moment, a friend whom I did
        trust, offered to house/cat sit. The sitter was a
        friend who had been in the house several times and
        neither of
        my two cats feared.

        As for whether or not the 6 hour car trip will be
        stressful that depends on the cat. My two cats used
        to go for 8 - 10 hour car trips 3-4 times/year. When
        they were kittens - it was no big deal. As they got
        older, they didn't like being confined to their travel
        cage and they would cry and cry for about 20-40
        minutes before settling down for the trip.

        Once I get to the destination, they want out of their
        crate and they spend the next hour or so exploring the
        new environment so they seem to deal with new places
        pretty well, but each cat is different.

        I have a large metal cage for travel. It is for a
        medium sized dog. I built a peg-board shelf for it
        and when I travel with them, I put a small litterbox
        (cardboard box from a case of canned cat food), food
        dish and water supply. The water bottle I use is a
        large bottle like those that you would find in a
        gerbil cage - except it holds a liter
        of water. Usually one kitty sleeps in the litter
        box and
        the other on the shelf. When they were younger (12
        wks to 18 mo), they used the litterbox during the trip
        and they ate and drank. Once
        they were older (5 years), they mostly just sleep.

        Good luck.

        Nala, Camille and Cozette

        --- "Cannon,Kimberly"
        <kimberly.cannon@...> wrote:

        > I am going to be going to a conference for work the
        > last week in September.
        > The conference is about 6 hours from my home. Now,
        > the question is, should
        > I take Q-tip and the other kitties with me.
        > Pros:
        > 1. I can watch her health conditions.
        > 2. I know she is getting her medicines and eating
        > 3. Someone will be around her all night every night
        > and she can sleep with
        > us. She gets upset when we go out of town.
        >
        > Cons:
        >
        > Will a drive that long be stressful?
        > How will she adjust to the hotel room?
        >
        > Other:
        > 1, I could get a pet sitter, but expensive, plus
        > Q-tip is my cat and
        > doesn't really take to other peoples.
        > 2. My mom could come check on her twice daily, but
        > 1. I don't trust my mom
        > to medicate her with all her pills and supplements
        > since she is a holy
        > terror to pill, and my mom gave but on medicating
        > her crf cat because it was
        > too hard and she seemed to be doing ok without the
        > medications. 2. She
        > HATES HATES HATES my mom. She growls and snarls at
        > her. Probably because
        > my mom smells like dog. 3. My mom would show up
        > whenever..maybe 7am one day
        > and 10 am the next and have a royal fit when I asked
        > her to fit on a
        > schedule because she is doing me a favor... Need I
        > go on....
        > 3. Boarding....No

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sharyl Cline
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
          Kimberly and Q-Tip,
          It really depends on your cat. We've just returned
          from a 21 day 3400 mile road trip with our 3 cats.
          Albert has been dx with HCM and CRF. Pequita with CRF
          and Tiki is healthy. The trip was hardest on Tiki my
          healthy kitty cause she is scared of her own shadow.
          My 2 sick kitties did great. They are older and just
          didn't get excited as long as they got fed and had a
          comfy place to sleep.

          If Q-Trip travels well and adjusts easily to a new
          environment I say take her. Albert gets daily fluids
          and meds 5 x/day. I just didn't feel comfortable
          leaving him that long with anyone else. They wouldn't
          know what was normal for his breathing etc. And they
          wouldn't be with him 24/7. It is hard to tell how a
          kitty is doing based on a 5 or 10 minute visit.

          Having a vet referral in the area will give you peace
          of mind in case of emergency. I packed extra meds and
          food to cover any foreseeable circumstance.

          Good Luck whatever you decide to do.
          Sharyl Albert and Pequita

          http://mail.yahoo.com