Re: [FH] Blaze's results from the IM vet

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      Shirley,

      Great news about the cancer & kidneys!!

      I've always found the term "congestive heart failure" (aka CHF) to be a bit
      confusing, even though it's a perfect name for what's going on. It sounds
      like a disease unto itself rather than a symptom of heart disease. Plus it
      always sounds so ominous when often, it's fairly easy to treat. I've seen
      plenty of other people have the same reaction.

      Congestive heart failure occurs when there is fluid buildup in the chest or
      lungs (the congestion) and there is enough fluid to put pressure on the
      heart so it can't beat as well as it normally does (the failure). Once the
      fluid is reduced or removed, the heart will resume beating as normally as it
      was before the congestion occurred.

      Chylous fluid is fluid that contains chyle - the fluid contained in lymph
      nodes. When there is fluid building up outside the lungs (pleural
      effusion), it usually contains chyle.

      I know there have been other people on this list who have had to do assisted
      feeding. There's also a Yahoo group just for that if you need more
      information - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

      Sue