Re: [FH] Cat food

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Rebekah,

      In a message dated 7/31/06 9:37:04 PM, twilitemoon@... writes:

      > My seven month old kitty has HCM. Right now, he is on Science Diet
      > kitten wet food until he exhibits signs of HCM. Before he was put on
      > the science diet food, he was on Iams kitten food, and loved it. Then
      > he was put on low sodium food -- a Japanese formula -- and loved it.
      > However, since he has been on the science diet, he won't eat that much.

      First it's great you're feeding a canned product. That's really important.

      But there's no reason to feed Science Diet, whose products are generally of
      low-quality nutrition and have a potential for adverse reactions.

      These are the primary ingredients of Sci Di Growth Liver + Chicken: Water,
      Liver, Pork By-Products, Egg Product, Chicken, Soybean Meal, Chicken Fat, Corn
      Starch, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Beet Pulp, Pork Protein
      Isolate, Powdered Cellulose. Without going into too much detail, liver and pork
      byproducts are not appropriate sources of primary protein for a cat, esp a young
      cat.

      These are the primary ingredient of Iams Kitten: Chicken, chicken by-product
      meal, corn grits, ground whole grain sorghum, chicken fat, fish meal, corn
      meal, dried egg product, dried beet pulp. At least the first ingredient is
      muscle meat.

      All cats, but esp cats with health disorders, need high-quality nutrition
      with low risk of adverse reactions. And all cats need to eat consistently.

      > To make sure it wasn't due to anorexia, for one night, I gave him the
      > Iams kitten food, and he ate it all.

      Then feed it.

      But you don't need to stick to kitten foods. They are not significantly
      higher in protein or calories than most "adult" formulas...and are really just more
      of a marketing gimmick. Iams Kitten eg has 46 calories/oz and 36% calories
      from protein. The adult Salmon formula has 42 cal/oz and 35% calories from
      protein.

      Kittens in the wild just eat more frequently and more volume to meet their
      caloric needs. A 7-month-old cat needs about 45 calories per lb of body weight
      per day. So if the cat is about 7 lbs, he needs about 315 calories daily, which
      is about 6.5 oz of Iams Kitten, 7.5 of an Iams adult formula, or 8 oz of Sci
      Di Growth Liver + Chicken.

      > Now, I don't know what to do, since I am limited in what food to get
      > for him, being in Japan. The Japanese vet only has science diet brand,
      > while the base store carries only Iams and some random other kitten
      > food.

      Given your limited choices, Iams chicken and turkey flavors would not be that
      bad. If you want to post what other products are available, we can help you
      figure them out.

      > Any suggestions on how to get him to enjoy eating again?

      Feed him a product that he enjoys that has reasonable ingredients given your
      choices. Iams is fine.

      > I just want to make sure he
      > is getting the proper nutrition as a growing kitten

      He needs both quality nutrients...which are determined by the
      ingredients...and enough calories (see above). These are characteristics to look for in
      ingredients. You may not have access to any products fitting this description...so
      just match up what you can get with these traits as best you can.

      1. muscle meat from a named species (as opposed to "byproducts," "poultry,"
      or "meal") as the first ingredient;
      2. organ meat from a named species (as opposed to "liver" or "poultry liver")
      somewhere in the second to fifth ingredient positions, preferably from the
      same species as the muscle meat;
      3. muscle and/or organ meats in at least three of the first five ingredient
      positions;
      4. limited to no fish;
      5. limited to no carbohydrate sources, preferably from low-glycemic
      vegetables, such as squash, or whole, hypoallergenic grains, such as oats and barley
      (as opposed to corn, wheat, and grain fractions, such as "rice bran");
      6. no plant-protein "boosters" (such as "soy protein isolate" or "corn gluten
      meal")
      7. no nonnutritive fillers (such as "powdered cellulose" and "grain sorghum")
      8. no synthetic preservatives (such as BHT, BHA, and ethoxyquin), colorings
      (such as Red Dye #40 and titanium dioxide), or flavorings.

      > , and that it's not
      > too high in sodium for his heart.
      >
      > There's no real reason to restrict sodium. Iams Kitten is 0.55% sodium (dry
      matter = DM). Sci Di Growth is 0.60% sodium DM. The Iams adult formulas are
      0.29-0.68% sodium DM. // Rosemary