Diabetes and HCM

  • maurenemm
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi all...I've been lurking around here occasionally since my almost 7
      year-old kitty, Reesee, was diagnosed with HCM (via ultrasound) about
      6 months ago. She's now on atenolol.

      I finally got around to get her to her usual vet for some bloodwork
      that the cardiologist recommended (I think I was in denial). The good
      news was that the vet didn't hear a heart murmur at all and her heart
      rate was good. The bad news was that she's lost 4 pounds and her
      bloodwork indicates she might be diabetic. I need to get a urine
      sample to them for further testing.

      Anyone have experience with a cat with HCM AND diabetes? Do any of
      the treatments interfere with each other?

      She's due for a follow up ultrasound later this month. Poor kitty -
      she also has a bad tooth that may need to be pulled (and maybe
      explains the weight loss if it isn't diabetes???). Of course I'm
      nervous about having to put her under for that...but one thing at a
      time.

      Thanks!
    • vickie
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
        I'm on my 2nd diabetic cat. This one w/RCM and Diabetes.

        If diabetes is a concern but they can't confirm it, you can buy an Ultra One Touch meter
        and test strips and test at home. These meter are always free w/rebate at most local
        stores. All you need to do is buy the strips.

        You get the blood by pricking the outer edge of the cats ear. Also when you have your cats
        blood tested at the vet the number are going to be higher do to stress, just an FYI

        If you find out that you cat ends up having diabetes, and needs insulin, email me and I'll tell you
        a place who sells it at a good price. Most vets are using PZI, and the place I order from make it
        in U-100 which most don't do this.

        Vickie
        In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
        Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!