Re: [FH] Sprite

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Peggy,

      My cat (9 lbs) is on Plavix at 1/2 of the dosage of
      your cat so on a mg/lb scale, the dose is roughly
      identical. I am paying about $5/pill including the
      dispensing fee. She seems to be handling the Plavix
      well, but she hates the taste. (I wrap it in a soft
      treat - about 1/4 of a "Pill Pocket" which she
      swallows - if she chews it, she foams a little at the
      mouth and spits it out, I originally dissolved it in
      tuna water and syringed it - with it all coming back
      out as foam!).

      As far as dosage, a study was done on in cats with
      Plavix (Clopidogrel) at up to the full 75 mg and found
      no significant differences in 75 mg, 37.5 or 18.75
      mg/per day. But the study was a short-term study not
      a long- term study.

      It could be that your vet is erring on the side of
      caution (higher dose) given that Sprite has already
      had clots. You might consider, however, for monetary
      reasons, to talk to your vet about cutting the dose
      down to 18.75 mg. My vet. cardiologist favors Plavix
      over aspirin as she feels it is better tolerated given
      that aspirin can be toxic to cats, but aspirin may be
      a cheaper alternative. Other people on the board use
      PepcidAC or Slippery Elm Bark to help with nausea in
      their cats - so perhaps that could help Sprite's
      stomach upset following aspirin?

      Other people on the board may suggest nattokinase to
      you. To
      my knowledge this enzyme has not been studied
      specifically in cats. However, you might rely on the
      experience of other members here regarding dosage, how
      well their cats tolerate it, and where it can be
      purchased etc.

      I have included a Plavix (clopidogrel) reference for
      you below,

      -Nala, Camille and Cozette.

      J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004 Nov 1;225(9):1406-11. Links
      Antiplatelet effects and pharmacodynamics of
      clopidogrel in cats.

      Hogan DF, Andrews DA, Green HW, Talbott KK, Ward MP,
      Calloway BM.

      Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of
      Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West
      Lafayette, IN 47907, USA.

      OBJECTIVE: To evaluate antiplatelet effects and
      pharmacodynamics of clopidogrel in cats. DESIGN:
      Original study. ANIMALS: 5 purpose-bred domestic cats.
      PROCEDURE: Clopidogrel was administered at dosages of
      75 mg, p.o., every 24 hours for 10 days; 37.5 mg,
      p.o., every 24 hours for 10 days; and 18.75 mg, p.o.,
      every 24 hours for 7 days. In all cats, treatments
      were administered in this order, with at least 2 weeks
      between treatments. Platelet aggregation in response
      to ADP and collagen and oral mucosal bleeding times
      (OMBTs) were measured before and 3, 7, and 10 days (75
      and 37.5 mg) or 7 days (18.75 mg) after initiation of
      drug administration. Serotonin concentration in plasma
      following stimulation of platelets with ADP or
      collagen was measured before and on the last day of
      drug administration. Platelet aggregation, OMBT, and
      serotonin concentration were evaluated at various
      times after drug administration was discontinued to
      determine when drug effects were lost. RESULTS: For
      all 3 dosages, platelet aggregation in response to ADP
      platelet aggregation in response to collagen, and
      serotonin concentration were significantly reduced and
      OMBT was significantly increased at all measurement
      times during drug administration periods. All values
      returned to baseline values by 7 days after drug
      administration was discontinued. No significant
      differences were identified between doses. None of the
      cats developed adverse effects associated with drug
      administration. CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE:
      Results suggest that administration of clopidogrel at
      dosages ranging from 18.75 to 75 mg, p.o., every 24
      hours, results in significant antiplatelet effects in
      cats.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        Peggy,

        Welcome back to the group. Sorry to hear that Sprite has problems. I can't
        answer your medical questions but I can comment on a couple things.

        As for dosage - I don't know specifically about Plavix but for comparison,
        my cat gets 60mg lasix daily compared to my friend who gets 5mg. Cats &
        people aren't always comparable.

        A lot of people on the Feline Asthma & Bronchitis group buy medications from
        Canada. Often the prices are less. There are complications due to laws
        governing cross-border sales of prescription drugs. I did hear that they
        just lifted the ban, but then there's still the issue of the Canadian postal
        system. Someone on this group mailed me something from Canada on 7/15 and
        it still hasn't arrived.

        While the restriction was on, you could order from Canada, but the product
        was often shipped from elsewhere. One person talked about getting a
        prescription filled in a Canadian pharmacy that was shipped from New
        Zealand.

        Anyway, here are some Canadian pharmacies that people have personally
        recommended. (I have not had the need to purchase medications from them
        since Pepper uses the same medication I do for asthma and my prescription
        plan is very good.)

        www.mapleleafmeds.com

        (West Vancouver, British Columbia)
        Tel (800) 794-8552

        FAX (866) 889-5010

        www.petpharm.org

        (Toronto, Ontario)
        Tel (888) 423-9444

        FAX (888) 423-7860

        www.rx-canada.com

        (Universal Drugstore, Winnipeg, Manitoba)
        Tel (866) 456-2456

        FAX (866) 783-4223

        www.smartchoicepharmacy.com

        (Calgary, Alberta, formerly halfoffmeds.com)
        Tel (866) 585-6337

        FAX (866) 872-2299

        www.thecandiandrugstore.com

        www.tcds.com

        (Toronto, Ontario)
        Tel (888)372-2252

        Fax (888)575-5506

        My Pepper was over 18 pounds when she was first diagnosed. By getting her
        off of dry food and switching to a good-quality canned food, she lost 2-1/2
        pounds. I did not restrict the amount of food she was eating. Grains -
        especially corn & wheat - contribute to weight gain and various medical
        problems. Do a search in the message archives for "OldMotherHubbard" and
        you will find a list of recommended foods.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          Peg,

          Welcome back to you and welcome to Sprite. I am sorry to hear of his diagnosis. Having been through this before, I am sure it was hard for you to find this out.

          I don't have any experience with Plavix but I am glad to hear your cardiologist is prescribing it. Many do not. I do have experience with the Nattokinasse. My Angel Alec used it for his RCM because he was at a greater risk for clots with the RCM. He never got a clot while he was on it and he had a terrible heart. I recommend it. I gave one 50mg pill a day. I paid about $35 for 60 pills. A little expensive but Alec was worth it. I would probably give this in addition to the Plavix. Ask your cardio if they have any problems with it, if you want. It is a very small pill too for pilling or hiding in a treat.

          I hope this helps! Bless your heart for helping so many kitties too!

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec