Toby's ultrasound results

  • Bob Acker
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 11:20 AM
      Monday I took Toby to the vet for his appointment with a
      cardiologist to have an ultrasound of his heart taken. I decided to
      be present while the procedure was done, and I was glad I was
      there. Toby didn't like being stretched out and made it very clear
      to everyone, using lots of g** and h*** as well as screaming and
      extending his claws. So they muzzled him. I was impressed at how
      the assistant managed to hold him and not get scratched! Once the
      procedure started he calmed down.

      The bottom line is that while she noticed a slight thickening of the
      septum (?) it wasn't serious. No blockages, flow was good, although
      there were some minor leakages/backflow from the mitral (sp?) valve
      and one or two others. The cardiologist speculated that the latter
      condition is what caused the low heart murmur. In any case no
      medication will be necessary, although she recommended a recheck
      next year.

      She also checked his blood pressure, which measured 160, on the high
      side of normal considering he was under a lot of stress. Again, no
      need for medication. Giving him sub-q fluids for his CRF will be
      safe, so that's a big relief.

      Since his heart condition is okay for the moment, I have changed my
      subscription status to nomail except for special announcements. But
      I'll check in once in awhile. I wish all of you the best of luck as
      you treat your loved companions.

      Bob Acker, wife Alison, cats Toby, Katrine, and Merlin, spirit cats
      Sparkle, Leo, and Fluff
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 5:52 PM
        Bob,

        WSe love hearing good news! Take care of Toby and the rest of your family and don't hesitate to post a message whenever you may need to do so! Best of Luck!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec
        __