Sammy & rapid respiration

  • sschonew@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      Someone on the list was talking about their cat's respiration rate
      recently and there was some discussion that it was too fast. Sammy likes
      to lie on the computer keyboard tray while I type or try to type and I
      automatically started counting his respiration rate. I thought I must be
      doing it wrong because it was so fast. Several nights it's been
      80-100ish and I haven't let him go out much during the current heat wave.
      Even when he was out and it was only 80F, he started panting soon after.

      Long story long.....

      I emailed my vet and she said bring him in. We just got home. Fortunately
      his heart sounded boring, and was normal size on x-ray. Everything looked
      good except that he has a some fluid in his lungs. So, 1/4-1/3 of lasix
      / day and we'll see if it helps. Dr. Becky thinks it will. Otherwise
      he's fine. Grumpy, but fine.

      So, thanks to whoever mentioned their cat's rapid respiration. I hope
      meds are helping him/her.

      susan in Lincoln where it's supposed to cool off tomorrow.
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        Just a reminder that when you count respirations, it
        is best
        to do when kitty is sleeping.

        -Nala, Camille and Cozette

        --- sschonew@... wrote:

        > Someone on the list was talking about their cat's
        > respiration rate
        > recently and there was some discussion that it was
        > too fast. Sammy likes
        > to lie on the computer keyboard tray while I type or
        > try to type and I
        > automatically started counting his respiration rate.
        > I thought I must be
        > doing it wrong because it was so fast. Several
        > nights it's been
        > 80-100ish and I haven't let him go out much during
        > the current heat wave.
        > Even when he was out and it was only 80F, he
        > started panting soon after.
        >
        > Long story long.....
        >
        > I emailed my vet and she said bring him in. We just
        > got home. Fortunately
        > his heart sounded boring, and was normal size on
        > x-ray. Everything looked
        > good except that he has a some fluid in his lungs.
        > So, 1/4-1/3 of lasix
        > / day and we'll see if it helps. Dr. Becky thinks
        > it will. Otherwise
        > he's fine. Grumpy, but fine.
        >
        > So, thanks to whoever mentioned their cat's rapid
        > respiration. I hope
        > meds are helping him/her.
        >
        > susan in Lincoln where it's supposed to cool off
        > tomorrow.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          Susan,

          Good for you for being on top of things with Sammy. That was a high number for him. Just be sure to count when Sammy is at rest, preferably sleeping, but not purring or dreaming, as this will increase the count as well.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec
          ,___

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
            I counted numerous different times because I couldn't believe his rate
            was so high. He likes to sleep on the computer keyboard tray while I
            read 100+ emails every night! Once in a while he lets me type something.
            This morning he was lying in bed next to me asleep and Louie can and lay
            down on my head. So, I could feel Louie breathing slowly on my head
            while my hand could feel Sammy's side going up and down more than twice
            as fast so I knew it really wasn't my imagination.

            The vet didn't think he needed any cardio meds at this point other than
            getting the fluids out of his lungs so he has space for air. His heart
            sounded "boring" and there was no enlargement. He does have a sore ear
            which she will laser when I get back from my vacation in a couple of
            weeks. It looks like a little growth on it and that ear produces lots of
            gross dark wax.

            Susan