Re: [FH] CoCo

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2006
      Hi (sorry I don't know your name),

      In a message dated 7/26/06 11:44:19 AM, ladycherise@... writes:

      > he has another problem the veterinarian diagnosed him also with megacolon.

      I'm very sorry to hear this. I know this is a very difficult problem to
      manage.

      > He  was diagnosed with it at 6 months of age and he is on WD wet food and
      > on
      > medications: Lactulose,Laxatone and Cisipride.

      This is standard conventional treatment. Sorry if you already know everything
      I'm going to say below...but I think it's important to look at the current
      treatment in case you want to make a change to other types of treatment.

      These are the primary ingredients of Hill's w/d canned: Pork By-Products,
      Pork Liver, Water, Corn Flour, Powdered Cellulose. There are no sources of the
      high-quality animal proteins and fats cats need to maintain and rebuild cells
      thruout their whole bodies in this product. This product also has a high amt of
      plant carbohydrate (from corn)...26% of calories...whereas cats need 0% of
      calories from carbohydrate and have limited ability to process it. A high dietary
      carbohydrate level is a contributing factor in a range of cat health
      disorders.

      Lactulose is a synthetic sugar that affects water balance in the gut.

      Laxatone is petroleum jelly with corn syrup, soybean oil, molasses, and
      sodium benzoate, which is potentially toxic to cats. Petroleum jelly, like mineral
      oil, is a byproduct of crude oil refining...just a few hydrocarbons away from
      diesel fuel and heating oil. Petroleum products cannot be either assimilated
      or eliminated...and therefore put the cat at risk of inflammation, as well as
      nutrient malabsorption. Just a few quick excerpts:

      1. From Mar Vista Vets at
      www.marvistavet.com/html/body_constipation_and_megacolon.html:

      "An old fashioned remedy has been the oral administration of mineral oil. It
      is best to avoid this temptation as mineral oil, being a light fluid without
      flavor, is easily inhaled accidentally into the respiratory tract. Since it is
      a mineral based compound, it cannot ever be removed by the body and the immune
      system will forever attempt to wall it off with inflammatory granulomas."

      2. From the Merck Veterinary Manual at
      http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/190308.htm:

      "Lubricant laxatives usually contain mineral oil or white petroleum. Chronic
      use may reduce intestinal absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and cause a
      granulomatous enteritis."

      3. From
      http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/altmed/interactions/Drugs/Mineral_Oil.htm:

      "Ingestion of mineral oil may chronically irritate the lining of the
      intestines because they often react to it as a foreign substance....Mineral oil is a
      lipid solvent and may absorb drugs as well as nutrients. Chronic use of mineral
      oil may result in increased gut motility with decreased absorption as the
      foods pass through the intestines more rapidly. As a result, foods, supplements
      and medications have reduced opportunity to be absorbed through the intestinal
      wall...."

      Cisapride (Propulsid Rx) has been removed from the general US market for
      humans b/c of risk of heart damage.

      While these products in some cases may help manage the condition, they also
      pose risk of further damage...and do nothing to help restore whatever
      muscle/nerve tone remains (if any). So it might be helpful for the long term to look at
      different options.

      > it is so hard to give him that
      > much  lactulose he hates it,

      I'm sure it is.

      Megacolon is a complicated disorder...and without knowing more about the cat
      (what he was eating before he developed megacolon, how distended the gut is,
      how much muscle tone/nerve function remains, etc), I can't make any specific
      suggestions.

      But there are less noxious options for the products you are currently using
      to soften the stool, normalize moisture balance, promote gut transit...such as
      slippery elm bark, aloe vera juice, psyllium fiber, and probiotics. There are
      also megacolon caregivers who feed a high-quality species-appropriate
      diet...and then use remedies or medications as needed to address the colon problem, so
      that at least the cat is getting needed nutrients in a form the cat can use
      to rebuild and maintain the whole body instead of the low-quality,
      non-nutritious filler in Hill's products.

      If you're interested, it might also be helpful to consider consulting with
      the most experienced integrative vet possible, as acupuncture, homeopathy,
      Chinese herb formulas, and nutraceuticals can be effective in managing this
      condition. There is a directory here: www.holisticvetlist.com. // Rosemary