RE: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6 7:38 PM
      is he dehydrated???

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Voula Augerinos [mailto:catwoman1@...]
      Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 8:57 AM
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

      Hi again,
      I forgot to tell you that licking lips is often a sign of nausea.
      Love, Voula.

      ----------
      > From: Voula Augerinos <catwoman1@...>
      > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn
      > Date: Sunday, 06 May , 2001 23:53
      >
      > Hi,
      > I wish I had some advice that would be of help. I just wanted to
      write
      > to say I know how scared you must be and that I am thinking of you and
      > Harry, and praying that this is something minor, and that Harry will be
      > back to fine form very soon.
      > I am sure that others more knowledgable will soon reply. Please keep
      > us posted. Could you call the ER and ask their advice?
      > Love, Voula.
      >
      > ----------
      > > From: Begete@...
      > > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn
      > > Date: Sunday, 06 May , 2001 23:50
      > >
      > > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been
      doing
      > > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs
      and

      > > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur
      > when
      > > he was here Wednesday.
      > > And Harry continued to be as active and playful as a kitten with no
      signs
      > at
      > > all of any illness.
      > >
      > > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I
      > found
      > > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not
      > absolutely
      > > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I
      tried
      > > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet
      > before
      > > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a
      > bit
      > > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was
      > thristy.
      > >
      > > Last night we had roast chicken for dinner which Harry loves, and he
      ate
      > > quite a lot of it. he seems a little better this morning, and did eat
      > > breakfast, though I had to lift him to the counter where he usually
      eats.

      > > Our cardiologist said that we would most likely notice a downturn when
      > his
      > > hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot, but that is not what is going on.
      Is

      > > what I am describing also identifyable as the "end" for a HCM cat? or
      > does
      > > this sound more like he ate a bug and it upset his tummy?
      > >
      > > I would call the vet but no one is there on Sundays, and a trip to the
      ER

      > > would stress him a lot.
      > >
      > > Thanx for any ideas, opinions.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6 7:41 PM
        do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
        etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

        Message 3 of 17 , May 6 7:41 PM
          sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

          Message 4 of 17 , May 7 6:12 AM
            anyes@... writes:

            > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
            > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
            > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

            But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
            complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
            I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
            themselves?

          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 17 , May 7 4:01 PM
              Begete@... wrote:

              > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
              > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
              > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
              > themselves?

              Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
              is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
              that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
              stopped.

              I hope that helps,
              Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 17 , May 12 7:26 AM
                i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                white lites,
                linda and the boys