Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2001

      > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing.

      I forgot to clarify that with fluids in the chest cavity, there is pressure on
      the stomach and appetite disappears as the tummy feels full. With fluids in the
      lungs, the breath becomes more slow and deliberate and a kitty with fluids in
      the lungs will not lay down on its side or head upside down. With either,
      there is squeaking or protesting of some sort as the pressure is uncomfortable
      when being picked up.

      I hope that helps,
      Anyes
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2001
        as i understand it, hind leg paresis is due to/most often associated iwth
        left atrial impairment..so does harry have that ....it wounds to me like a
        tummy problem....give him some time to recuperate and assume that it is a
        atummy problem and hope for the best....can you give him some pepcid???

        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2001
          is he dehydrated???

          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2001
            do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
            etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2001
              sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

              Message 6 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                anyes@... writes:

                > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

                But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                themselves?

              • Anyes Moscrip
                Message 7 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                  Begete@... wrote:

                  > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                  > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                  > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                  > themselves?

                  Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
                  is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
                  that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
                  stopped.

                  I hope that helps,
                  Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 12, 2001
                    i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                    will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                    white lites,
                    linda and the boys