Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2001
      Begete@... wrote:

      > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
      > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
      > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
      > he was here Wednesday.
      >
      > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
      > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
      > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
      > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
      > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
      > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

      It sounds like possible fluid build up in the lungs, or chest cavity if the
      breathing is normal. That would hide the murmur temporarily and it would cause
      an angry reaction when picked up. The fluids put pressure on the heart and
      lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
      protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity. If the
      breathing is normal, his lungs may not be affected yet. Is Harry using his
      lower flanks as 'bellows' with a more deliberate, slow breath? Have it checked
      out tomorrow for sure.
      Stopping eating and throwing up fluid are also signs, as is the lack of energy
      and tiredness...

      Is Harry on heart medications? and has his bp been checked lately?
      It sounds like it's time for an adjustment in his meds....

      As to the clot, what you are describing does not sound like that, and most heart
      kitties never get clots anyway...

      I hope that helps,
      Anyes, Angelica and angels Lucie and Georgina
    • Anyes Moscrip
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2001

        > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing.

        I forgot to clarify that with fluids in the chest cavity, there is pressure on
        the stomach and appetite disappears as the tummy feels full. With fluids in the
        lungs, the breath becomes more slow and deliberate and a kitty with fluids in
        the lungs will not lay down on its side or head upside down. With either,
        there is squeaking or protesting of some sort as the pressure is uncomfortable
        when being picked up.

        I hope that helps,
        Anyes
      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2001
          as i understand it, hind leg paresis is due to/most often associated iwth
          left atrial impairment..so does harry have that ....it wounds to me like a
          tummy problem....give him some time to recuperate and assume that it is a
          atummy problem and hope for the best....can you give him some pepcid???

          Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
          really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
          weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
          he was here Wednesday.
          And Harry continued to be as active and playful as a kitten with no signs at
          all of any illness.

          Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
          some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
          sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
          pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
          lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
          lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

          Last night we had roast chicken for dinner which Harry loves, and he ate
          quite a lot of it. he seems a little better this morning, and did eat
          breakfast, though I had to lift him to the counter where he usually eats.

          Our cardiologist said that we would most likely notice a downturn when his
          hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot, but that is not what is going on. Is
          what I am describing also identifyable as the "end" for a HCM cat? or does
          this sound more like he ate a bug and it upset his tummy?

          I would call the vet but no one is there on Sundays, and a trip to the ER
          would stress him a lot.

          Thanx for any ideas, opinions.

        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2001
            is he dehydrated???

            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2001
              do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
              etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

                Message 7 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                  anyes@... writes:

                  > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                  > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                  > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

                  But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                  complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                  I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                  themselves?

                • Anyes Moscrip
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                    Begete@... wrote:

                    > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                    > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                    > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                    > themselves?

                    Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
                    is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
                    that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
                    stopped.

                    I hope that helps,
                    Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 12, 2001
                      i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                      will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                      white lites,
                      linda and the boys