Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

  • the chunns
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2001
      Glad to hear Harry is improving - seems like we are always
      living on the edge with these little heart patients!

      Pat
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2001
        Begete@... wrote:

        > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
        > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
        > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
        > he was here Wednesday.
        >
        > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
        > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
        > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
        > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
        > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
        > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

        It sounds like possible fluid build up in the lungs, or chest cavity if the
        breathing is normal. That would hide the murmur temporarily and it would cause
        an angry reaction when picked up. The fluids put pressure on the heart and
        lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
        protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity. If the
        breathing is normal, his lungs may not be affected yet. Is Harry using his
        lower flanks as 'bellows' with a more deliberate, slow breath? Have it checked
        out tomorrow for sure.
        Stopping eating and throwing up fluid are also signs, as is the lack of energy
        and tiredness...

        Is Harry on heart medications? and has his bp been checked lately?
        It sounds like it's time for an adjustment in his meds....

        As to the clot, what you are describing does not sound like that, and most heart
        kitties never get clots anyway...

        I hope that helps,
        Anyes, Angelica and angels Lucie and Georgina
      • Anyes Moscrip
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2001

          > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing.

          I forgot to clarify that with fluids in the chest cavity, there is pressure on
          the stomach and appetite disappears as the tummy feels full. With fluids in the
          lungs, the breath becomes more slow and deliberate and a kitty with fluids in
          the lungs will not lay down on its side or head upside down. With either,
          there is squeaking or protesting of some sort as the pressure is uncomfortable
          when being picked up.

          I hope that helps,
          Anyes
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2001
            as i understand it, hind leg paresis is due to/most often associated iwth
            left atrial impairment..so does harry have that ....it wounds to me like a
            tummy problem....give him some time to recuperate and assume that it is a
            atummy problem and hope for the best....can you give him some pepcid???

            Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
            really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
            weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
            he was here Wednesday.
            And Harry continued to be as active and playful as a kitten with no signs at
            all of any illness.

            Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
            some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
            sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
            pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
            lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
            lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

            Last night we had roast chicken for dinner which Harry loves, and he ate
            quite a lot of it. he seems a little better this morning, and did eat
            breakfast, though I had to lift him to the counter where he usually eats.

            Our cardiologist said that we would most likely notice a downturn when his
            hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot, but that is not what is going on. Is
            what I am describing also identifyable as the "end" for a HCM cat? or does
            this sound more like he ate a bug and it upset his tummy?

            I would call the vet but no one is there on Sundays, and a trip to the ER
            would stress him a lot.

            Thanx for any ideas, opinions.

          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2001
              is he dehydrated???

              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
                etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

                Message 7 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                  sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                    anyes@... writes:

                    > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                    > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                    > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

                    But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                    complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                    I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                    themselves?

                  • Anyes Moscrip
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                      Begete@... wrote:

                      > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                      > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                      > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                      > themselves?

                      Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
                      is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
                      that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
                      stopped.

                      I hope that helps,
                      Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 12, 2001
                        i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                        will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                        white lites,
                        linda and the boys