Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

  • Begete@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6 1:44 PM
      First - I thank you all for the replies.

      Harry seems a little better today; not back to "normal" but he is eating a
      little more and isn't quite as "off".

      I also tend to think it not not related to the HCM, but perhaps he ate a bug
      or chewed a plant and that disagreed with him.

      I also thought of constipation, and since he will not take the meds for that,
      I gave him some butter.

      The vet looked carefully at his teeth on Wednesday as he seems to be
      "teething" even though a 3 year old cat already has all his teeth as he has
      been chewing on anything rubbery he can find. The vet said his teeth and gums
      looked fine, but maybe he chewed on something that made him ill. Our cats are
      indoor cats, but do have the run of the house.

      Hopefully he will continue to improve. he has his 6 month recheck with the
      cardiologist in June, but our vet confers with her anytime we are concerned.

      Again, thanx for the kind thoughts and support.

      Babette

    • Begete@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6 1:47 PM
        Forgot to mention: when my husband took the leftover chicken out of the
        fridge, Harry leaped up onto the counter in anticipation - so he can leap
        when he really wants to - and given that he is a clever little guy (Harry,
        not the husband) - maybe he just got tired of cat food and is playing sick
        knowing that we always coddle him and give him home made people food when he
        isn't well :-)

      • the chunns
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6 2:32 PM
          Glad to hear Harry is improving - seems like we are always
          living on the edge with these little heart patients!

          Pat
          > First - I thank you all for the replies.
          >
          > Harry seems a little better today; not back to "normal" but he is eating a
          > little more and isn't quite as "off".
          >
          > I also tend to think it not not related to the HCM, but perhaps he ate a
          bug
          > or chewed a plant and that disagreed with him.
          >
          > I also thought of constipation, and since he will not take the meds for
          that,
          > I gave him some butter.
          >
          > The vet looked carefully at his teeth on Wednesday as he seems to be
          > "teething" even though a 3 year old cat already has all his teeth as he
          has
          > been chewing on anything rubbery he can find. The vet said his teeth and
          gums
          > looked fine, but maybe he chewed on something that made him ill. Our cats
          are
          > indoor cats, but do have the run of the house.
          >
          > Hopefully he will continue to improve. he has his 6 month recheck with the
          > cardiologist in June, but our vet confers with her anytime we are
          concerned.

          > Again, thanx for the kind thoughts and support.
          >
          > Babette

        • Anyes Moscrip
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6 5:36 PM
            Begete@... wrote:

            > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
            > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
            > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
            > he was here Wednesday.
            >
            > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
            > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
            > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
            > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
            > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
            > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

            It sounds like possible fluid build up in the lungs, or chest cavity if the
            breathing is normal. That would hide the murmur temporarily and it would cause
            an angry reaction when picked up. The fluids put pressure on the heart and
            lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
            protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity. If the
            breathing is normal, his lungs may not be affected yet. Is Harry using his
            lower flanks as 'bellows' with a more deliberate, slow breath? Have it checked
            out tomorrow for sure.
            Stopping eating and throwing up fluid are also signs, as is the lack of energy
            and tiredness...

            Is Harry on heart medications? and has his bp been checked lately?
            It sounds like it's time for an adjustment in his meds....

            As to the clot, what you are describing does not sound like that, and most heart
            kitties never get clots anyway...

            I hope that helps,
            Anyes, Angelica and angels Lucie and Georgina
          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6 5:40 PM

              > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing.

              I forgot to clarify that with fluids in the chest cavity, there is pressure on
              the stomach and appetite disappears as the tummy feels full. With fluids in the
              lungs, the breath becomes more slow and deliberate and a kitty with fluids in
              the lungs will not lay down on its side or head upside down. With either,
              there is squeaking or protesting of some sort as the pressure is uncomfortable
              when being picked up.

              I hope that helps,
              Anyes
            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 17 , May 6 7:37 PM
                as i understand it, hind leg paresis is due to/most often associated iwth
                left atrial impairment..so does harry have that ....it wounds to me like a
                tummy problem....give him some time to recuperate and assume that it is a
                atummy problem and hope for the best....can you give him some pepcid???

                Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
                really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
                weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
                he was here Wednesday.
                And Harry continued to be as active and playful as a kitten with no signs at
                all of any illness.

                Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
                some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
                sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
                pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
                lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
                lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

                Last night we had roast chicken for dinner which Harry loves, and he ate
                quite a lot of it. he seems a little better this morning, and did eat
                breakfast, though I had to lift him to the counter where he usually eats.

                Our cardiologist said that we would most likely notice a downturn when his
                hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot, but that is not what is going on. Is
                what I am describing also identifyable as the "end" for a HCM cat? or does
                this sound more like he ate a bug and it upset his tummy?

                I would call the vet but no one is there on Sundays, and a trip to the ER
                would stress him a lot.

                Thanx for any ideas, opinions.

              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                Message 7 of 17 , May 6 7:38 PM
                  is he dehydrated???

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 6 7:41 PM
                    do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
                    etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6 7:41 PM
                      sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7 6:12 AM
                        anyes@... writes:

                        > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                        > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                        > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

                        But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                        complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                        I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                        themselves?

                      • Anyes Moscrip
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 7 4:01 PM
                          Begete@... wrote:

                          > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                          > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                          > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                          > themselves?

                          Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
                          is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
                          that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
                          stopped.

                          I hope that helps,
                          Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
                        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 12 7:26 AM
                            i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                            will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                            white lites,
                            linda and the boys