Re: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2001
      Hi,
      I wish I had some advice that would be of help. I just wanted to write
      to say I know how scared you must be and that I am thinking of you and
      Harry, and praying that this is something minor, and that Harry will be
      back to fine form very soon.
      I am sure that others more knowledgable will soon reply. Please keep
      us posted. Could you call the ER and ask their advice?
      Love, Voula.

      ----------
      > From: Begete@...
      > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [feline-heart] Harry took a bad turn
      > Date: Sunday, 06 May , 2001 23:50
      >
      > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
      > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and

      > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur
      when
      > he was here Wednesday.
      > And Harry continued to be as active and playful as a kitten with no signs
      at
      > all of any illness.
      >
      > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I
      found
      > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not
      absolutely
      > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried
      > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet
      before
      > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a
      bit
      > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was
      thristy.

      > Last night we had roast chicken for dinner which Harry loves, and he ate
      > quite a lot of it. he seems a little better this morning, and did eat
      > breakfast, though I had to lift him to the counter where he usually eats.
      >
      > Our cardiologist said that we would most likely notice a downturn when
      his
      > hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot, but that is not what is going on. Is

      > what I am describing also identifyable as the "end" for a HCM cat? or
      does
      > this sound more like he ate a bug and it upset his tummy?
      >
      > I would call the vet but no one is there on Sundays, and a trip to the ER

      > would stress him a lot.
      >
      > Thanx for any ideas, opinions.

    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2001
        Hi again,
        I forgot to tell you that licking lips is often a sign of nausea.
        Love, Voula.

        ----------

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • masaidit
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2001
          Hello,

          Can you call the ER hospital and explain this to them? How is Harry's breathing? If you don't think it's a clot could he have an injury? Could he have been bitten by something?You said he hissed when you picked him up - was he in pain? If so feel around and try and determine where he is painful.

          Have you added or taken away anything from his usual diet, medicines, supplements etc? I wonder if he could be constipated or blocked - is he using the litter box ok? Since you have two kitties maybe for at least today, separate them and watch him, make sure there is no straining and keep an eye on his breathing, eating and general behavior.

          Lip licking is generally a sign of belly upset but could be tooth or gum related so take a look see in his mouth. If he's not eating well b/c he is nauseous, perhaps you can offer him several small meals.

          Sharon

        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2001
            I'm sorry to hear about Harry's heart condition.

            I'm not a vet & I hesitate to disagree with one (especially a cardiologist),
            but the statement that

            ... we would most likely notice a downturn when his
            hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot ...

            is quite strange to me. I had a cat that had severe heart disease & threw
            several clots & I did a lot of research when he threw his first clot. First
            of all, the vast majority of cats with heart problems (even with severe
            conditions) never throw a clot. In addition, no one knows how to tell which
            cats with heart problems are more likely to throw clots. Lastly, if your
            cat does throw a clot, it can lodge in one of many places, only one of which
            causes hindleg paralysis.

            The symptoms you describe could be many things, but given his good checkup
            this past week, I would suspect something non-heart related. I would get
            him to the vet 1st thing tomorrow morning.

            Please let us know what you find out.

          • Begete@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2001
              First - I thank you all for the replies.

              Harry seems a little better today; not back to "normal" but he is eating a
              little more and isn't quite as "off".

              I also tend to think it not not related to the HCM, but perhaps he ate a bug
              or chewed a plant and that disagreed with him.

              I also thought of constipation, and since he will not take the meds for that,
              I gave him some butter.

              The vet looked carefully at his teeth on Wednesday as he seems to be
              "teething" even though a 3 year old cat already has all his teeth as he has
              been chewing on anything rubbery he can find. The vet said his teeth and gums
              looked fine, but maybe he chewed on something that made him ill. Our cats are
              indoor cats, but do have the run of the house.

              Hopefully he will continue to improve. he has his 6 month recheck with the
              cardiologist in June, but our vet confers with her anytime we are concerned.

              Again, thanx for the kind thoughts and support.

              Babette

            • Begete@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                Forgot to mention: when my husband took the leftover chicken out of the
                fridge, Harry leaped up onto the counter in anticipation - so he can leap
                when he really wants to - and given that he is a clever little guy (Harry,
                not the husband) - maybe he just got tired of cat food and is playing sick
                knowing that we always coddle him and give him home made people food when he
                isn't well :-)

              • the chunns
                Message 7 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                  Glad to hear Harry is improving - seems like we are always
                  living on the edge with these little heart patients!

                  Pat
                  > First - I thank you all for the replies.
                  >
                  > Harry seems a little better today; not back to "normal" but he is eating a
                  > little more and isn't quite as "off".
                  >
                  > I also tend to think it not not related to the HCM, but perhaps he ate a
                  bug
                  > or chewed a plant and that disagreed with him.
                  >
                  > I also thought of constipation, and since he will not take the meds for
                  that,
                  > I gave him some butter.
                  >
                  > The vet looked carefully at his teeth on Wednesday as he seems to be
                  > "teething" even though a 3 year old cat already has all his teeth as he
                  has
                  > been chewing on anything rubbery he can find. The vet said his teeth and
                  gums
                  > looked fine, but maybe he chewed on something that made him ill. Our cats
                  are
                  > indoor cats, but do have the run of the house.
                  >
                  > Hopefully he will continue to improve. he has his 6 month recheck with the
                  > cardiologist in June, but our vet confers with her anytime we are
                  concerned.

                  > Again, thanx for the kind thoughts and support.
                  >
                  > Babette

                • Anyes Moscrip
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                    Begete@... wrote:

                    > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
                    > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
                    > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
                    > he was here Wednesday.
                    >
                    > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
                    > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
                    > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
                    > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
                    > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
                    > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

                    It sounds like possible fluid build up in the lungs, or chest cavity if the
                    breathing is normal. That would hide the murmur temporarily and it would cause
                    an angry reaction when picked up. The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                    lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                    protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity. If the
                    breathing is normal, his lungs may not be affected yet. Is Harry using his
                    lower flanks as 'bellows' with a more deliberate, slow breath? Have it checked
                    out tomorrow for sure.
                    Stopping eating and throwing up fluid are also signs, as is the lack of energy
                    and tiredness...

                    Is Harry on heart medications? and has his bp been checked lately?
                    It sounds like it's time for an adjustment in his meds....

                    As to the clot, what you are describing does not sound like that, and most heart
                    kitties never get clots anyway...

                    I hope that helps,
                    Anyes, Angelica and angels Lucie and Georgina
                  • Anyes Moscrip
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6, 2001

                      > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing.

                      I forgot to clarify that with fluids in the chest cavity, there is pressure on
                      the stomach and appetite disappears as the tummy feels full. With fluids in the
                      lungs, the breath becomes more slow and deliberate and a kitty with fluids in
                      the lungs will not lay down on its side or head upside down. With either,
                      there is squeaking or protesting of some sort as the pressure is uncomfortable
                      when being picked up.

                      I hope that helps,
                      Anyes
                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                        as i understand it, hind leg paresis is due to/most often associated iwth
                        left atrial impairment..so does harry have that ....it wounds to me like a
                        tummy problem....give him some time to recuperate and assume that it is a
                        atummy problem and hope for the best....can you give him some pepcid???

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                          is he dehydrated???

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                            do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
                            etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                              sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                                anyes@... writes:

                                > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                                > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                                > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

                                But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                                complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                                I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                                themselves?

                              • Anyes Moscrip
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                                  Begete@... wrote:

                                  > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                                  > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                                  > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                                  > themselves?

                                  Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
                                  is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
                                  that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
                                  stopped.

                                  I hope that helps,
                                  Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
                                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 12, 2001
                                    i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                                    will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                                    white lites,
                                    linda and the boys