Harry took a bad turn

  • Begete@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2001
      Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
      really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
      weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
      he was here Wednesday.
      And Harry continued to be as active and playful as a kitten with no signs at
      all of any illness.

      Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
      some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
      sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
      pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
      lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
      lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

      Last night we had roast chicken for dinner which Harry loves, and he ate
      quite a lot of it. he seems a little better this morning, and did eat
      breakfast, though I had to lift him to the counter where he usually eats.

      Our cardiologist said that we would most likely notice a downturn when his
      hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot, but that is not what is going on. Is
      what I am describing also identifyable as the "end" for a HCM cat? or does
      this sound more like he ate a bug and it upset his tummy?

      I would call the vet but no one is there on Sundays, and a trip to the ER
      would stress him a lot.

      Thanx for any ideas, opinions.

    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2001
        Hi,
        I wish I had some advice that would be of help. I just wanted to write
        to say I know how scared you must be and that I am thinking of you and
        Harry, and praying that this is something minor, and that Harry will be
        back to fine form very soon.
        I am sure that others more knowledgable will soon reply. Please keep
        us posted. Could you call the ER and ask their advice?
        Love, Voula.

        ----------

        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2001
          Hi again,
          I forgot to tell you that licking lips is often a sign of nausea.
          Love, Voula.

          ----------

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • masaidit
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2001
            Hello,

            Can you call the ER hospital and explain this to them? How is Harry's breathing? If you don't think it's a clot could he have an injury? Could he have been bitten by something?You said he hissed when you picked him up - was he in pain? If so feel around and try and determine where he is painful.

            Have you added or taken away anything from his usual diet, medicines, supplements etc? I wonder if he could be constipated or blocked - is he using the litter box ok? Since you have two kitties maybe for at least today, separate them and watch him, make sure there is no straining and keep an eye on his breathing, eating and general behavior.

            Lip licking is generally a sign of belly upset but could be tooth or gum related so take a look see in his mouth. If he's not eating well b/c he is nauseous, perhaps you can offer him several small meals.

            Sharon

          • Jonathan Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2001
              I'm sorry to hear about Harry's heart condition.

              I'm not a vet & I hesitate to disagree with one (especially a cardiologist),
              but the statement that

              ... we would most likely notice a downturn when his
              hindlegs were paralyzed from a clot ...

              is quite strange to me. I had a cat that had severe heart disease & threw
              several clots & I did a lot of research when he threw his first clot. First
              of all, the vast majority of cats with heart problems (even with severe
              conditions) never throw a clot. In addition, no one knows how to tell which
              cats with heart problems are more likely to throw clots. Lastly, if your
              cat does throw a clot, it can lodge in one of many places, only one of which
              causes hindleg paralysis.

              The symptoms you describe could be many things, but given his good checkup
              this past week, I would suspect something non-heart related. I would get
              him to the vet 1st thing tomorrow morning.

              Please let us know what you find out.

              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                First - I thank you all for the replies.

                Harry seems a little better today; not back to "normal" but he is eating a
                little more and isn't quite as "off".

                I also tend to think it not not related to the HCM, but perhaps he ate a bug
                or chewed a plant and that disagreed with him.

                I also thought of constipation, and since he will not take the meds for that,
                I gave him some butter.

                The vet looked carefully at his teeth on Wednesday as he seems to be
                "teething" even though a 3 year old cat already has all his teeth as he has
                been chewing on anything rubbery he can find. The vet said his teeth and gums
                looked fine, but maybe he chewed on something that made him ill. Our cats are
                indoor cats, but do have the run of the house.

                Hopefully he will continue to improve. he has his 6 month recheck with the
                cardiologist in June, but our vet confers with her anytime we are concerned.

                Again, thanx for the kind thoughts and support.

                Babette

              • Begete@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                  Forgot to mention: when my husband took the leftover chicken out of the
                  fridge, Harry leaped up onto the counter in anticipation - so he can leap
                  when he really wants to - and given that he is a clever little guy (Harry,
                  not the husband) - maybe he just got tired of cat food and is playing sick
                  knowing that we always coddle him and give him home made people food when he
                  isn't well :-)

                • the chunns
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                    Glad to hear Harry is improving - seems like we are always
                    living on the edge with these little heart patients!

                    Pat
                    > First - I thank you all for the replies.
                    >
                    > Harry seems a little better today; not back to "normal" but he is eating a
                    > little more and isn't quite as "off".
                    >
                    > I also tend to think it not not related to the HCM, but perhaps he ate a
                    bug
                    > or chewed a plant and that disagreed with him.
                    >
                    > I also thought of constipation, and since he will not take the meds for
                    that,
                    > I gave him some butter.
                    >
                    > The vet looked carefully at his teeth on Wednesday as he seems to be
                    > "teething" even though a 3 year old cat already has all his teeth as he
                    has
                    > been chewing on anything rubbery he can find. The vet said his teeth and
                    gums
                    > looked fine, but maybe he chewed on something that made him ill. Our cats
                    are
                    > indoor cats, but do have the run of the house.
                    >
                    > Hopefully he will continue to improve. he has his 6 month recheck with the
                    > cardiologist in June, but our vet confers with her anytime we are
                    concerned.

                    > Again, thanx for the kind thoughts and support.
                    >
                    > Babette

                  • Anyes Moscrip
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                      Begete@... wrote:

                      > Harry (HCM) who was given 6 months at best last Decemeber had been doing
                      > really well until yesterday. The visiting vet, who monitors his lungs and
                      > weight and confers with the cardiologist could not even hear the murmur when
                      > he was here Wednesday.
                      >
                      > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing. I found
                      > some liquidy vomit on the floor (but we have two cats so am not absolutely
                      > sure it was Harry's - no hairball). He actually hissed at me when I tried to
                      > pick him up, and seemed not to be able to walk more than a few feet before
                      > lying down. When he does walk, he is not limping. He also seems quite a bit
                      > lighter. and he seems to be licking his lips a lot - as if he was thristy.

                      It sounds like possible fluid build up in the lungs, or chest cavity if the
                      breathing is normal. That would hide the murmur temporarily and it would cause
                      an angry reaction when picked up. The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                      lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                      protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity. If the
                      breathing is normal, his lungs may not be affected yet. Is Harry using his
                      lower flanks as 'bellows' with a more deliberate, slow breath? Have it checked
                      out tomorrow for sure.
                      Stopping eating and throwing up fluid are also signs, as is the lack of energy
                      and tiredness...

                      Is Harry on heart medications? and has his bp been checked lately?
                      It sounds like it's time for an adjustment in his meds....

                      As to the clot, what you are describing does not sound like that, and most heart
                      kitties never get clots anyway...

                      I hope that helps,
                      Anyes, Angelica and angels Lucie and Georgina
                    • Anyes Moscrip
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 6, 2001

                        > Then all of a sudden, yesterday, he just stopped eating and playing.

                        I forgot to clarify that with fluids in the chest cavity, there is pressure on
                        the stomach and appetite disappears as the tummy feels full. With fluids in the
                        lungs, the breath becomes more slow and deliberate and a kitty with fluids in
                        the lungs will not lay down on its side or head upside down. With either,
                        there is squeaking or protesting of some sort as the pressure is uncomfortable
                        when being picked up.

                        I hope that helps,
                        Anyes
                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                          as i understand it, hind leg paresis is due to/most often associated iwth
                          left atrial impairment..so does harry have that ....it wounds to me like a
                          tummy problem....give him some time to recuperate and assume that it is a
                          atummy problem and hope for the best....can you give him some pepcid???

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                            is he dehydrated???

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                              do you have any plants in the house////something he could have chewed/eaten,
                              etcx...????what kind of houseplants do you have???

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                                sounds like my husbnad...even if he doesn't leap onto counters...

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                                  anyes@... writes:

                                  > The fluids put pressure on the heart and
                                  > lungs when you put your hand against your kitty's chest. If he squeaks,
                                  > protests in any way, I think he has fluids in the chest cavity

                                  But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                                  complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                                  I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                                  themselves?

                                • Anyes Moscrip
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 7, 2001
                                    Begete@... wrote:

                                    > But the symptoms occurred Saturday and he was fine on Wednesday when he had a
                                    > complete checkup with the vet. Can it happen that fast (the fluid buildup?).
                                    > I thought it was more gradual. He is fina again today. Do the fluids reduce
                                    > themselves?

                                    Fluids can build up in a matter of hours. Certainly from Wednesday to Saturday
                                    is more than long enough to happen. Fluids will also get reabsorbed provided
                                    that whatever caused the problem, such as giving fluids for example or stress, is
                                    stopped.

                                    I hope that helps,
                                    Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
                                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 12, 2001
                                      i am sorry to hear about harry....i hope that all will be better soon...we
                                      will keep you and harry in our thoughts and prayers...

                                      white lites,
                                      linda and the boys