RE: [feline-heart] Re: Hair Loss?

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2001
      oooppps.....well, yes, but we pretend it's not really happening..... as in
      "denial is a river in egypt!"....haha...

      linda and the boys

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
        Hi all,

        Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only on his
        nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline, this was
        right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started eating again,
        like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself, so I would
        just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be spreading ...
        being me, I immediately thought SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA! but I really don't think
        that's it -- it's not really a rash per se, more like dark crusts and some
        hair loss, but no sores or red spots. It began after he started the
        spironolactone -- has anyone else seen anything like this? It doesn't seem to bother him,
        he's not rubbing or scratching. I've been washing it twice daily and putting
        antibiotic ointment on it, which seems to help.

        Lisa, who will pay thousands for an echo but is hoping for cheap advice for
        hairloss.

      • jen
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 25, 2004
          Lisa,

          The crustiness sounds a lot like ringworm, which despite the name isn't
          always in rings. It can be picked up in clinics, it is rather hard to get rid
          of in that setting. If you have a black light (the glowing purple ones),
          about 60% of ringworm will glow under it. You could try alternating an
          antifungal (ie yeast infection cream) with the antibiotic and see if that
          helps. There are also some good naturopathic herbs, black walnut is
          one my ex used when he got ringworm (from a patient); but I would
          consult a homeopathic vet before I gave them to a heart kitty. Make
          sure you wash your hands well after touching it, ringworm is contagious
          to humans and a real pain to get rid of. The vet can scrap it and give
          you a firm diagnosis if it doesn't resolve as you would like!!

          Good luck,

          jen, deagan and kira the dog
        • kmyelshin
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, lclarizia@a... wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only
            on his
            > nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline,
            this was
            > right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started
            eating again,
            > like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself,
            so I would
            > just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be
            spreading ...

            Sounds a lot like Ringworm. You can get some vaginal yeast infection
            cream from the local pharmacy and apply it to the affected areas. You
            want the 2% Miconazole preparation, nothing stronger. The vet can
            prescribe an antifungal medication, but my vet wouldn't give it to my
            heart kitty as it could have exacerbated other problems she had.

            Another thing to do is give your cat a special shampoo treatment (only
            about 10-15 dollars for a bottle from the vet or pet supply store) or,
            in a more extreme case, use sulfur dip. That smells to high heaven;
            if you try it, wear rubber gloves and old clothing, because it will
            stain your skin yellow (as well as anything else light colored, like a
            cat's hair...) You will need to keep this stuff well away from your
            cat's eyes, so an elizabethan collar might be needed.

            Additionally, vacuum EVERYTHING every day, and throw out the used bags
            every day. No reuse of vacuum cleaner bags. Use a bleach solution to
            wipe down hard surfaces that can tolerate bleach. If the cat sleeps
            on blankets or bedding, bleach them too. If you can afford it, get
            your carpets and furniture deep steam cleaned; explain to them what
            you are trying to get rid of.

            Wash your hands frequently; this fungus is closely related to that
            which causes athlete's foot, and its very contagious to humans.
            You'll know you have it if you get a raised, ringshaped itchy area on
            your skin. The miconazole will work as well on you as on the cat.

            Kathy in behalf of Angel Pele, who is finished forever with smelly
            ringworm dips and is happily attacking angels' bare toes.