Re: Hair Loss?

  • gea@alumni.duke.edu
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      Not even any male-pattern baldness? :^)

      Gail & Malcolm

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
      > no hair loss here....
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2001
        oooppps.....well, yes, but we pretend it's not really happening..... as in
        "denial is a river in egypt!"....haha...

        linda and the boys

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
          Hi all,

          Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only on his
          nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline, this was
          right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started eating again,
          like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself, so I would
          just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be spreading ...
          being me, I immediately thought SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA! but I really don't think
          that's it -- it's not really a rash per se, more like dark crusts and some
          hair loss, but no sores or red spots. It began after he started the
          spironolactone -- has anyone else seen anything like this? It doesn't seem to bother him,
          he's not rubbing or scratching. I've been washing it twice daily and putting
          antibiotic ointment on it, which seems to help.

          Lisa, who will pay thousands for an echo but is hoping for cheap advice for
          hairloss.

        • jen
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 25, 2004
            Lisa,

            The crustiness sounds a lot like ringworm, which despite the name isn't
            always in rings. It can be picked up in clinics, it is rather hard to get rid
            of in that setting. If you have a black light (the glowing purple ones),
            about 60% of ringworm will glow under it. You could try alternating an
            antifungal (ie yeast infection cream) with the antibiotic and see if that
            helps. There are also some good naturopathic herbs, black walnut is
            one my ex used when he got ringworm (from a patient); but I would
            consult a homeopathic vet before I gave them to a heart kitty. Make
            sure you wash your hands well after touching it, ringworm is contagious
            to humans and a real pain to get rid of. The vet can scrap it and give
            you a firm diagnosis if it doesn't resolve as you would like!!

            Good luck,

            jen, deagan and kira the dog
          • kmyelshin
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, lclarizia@a... wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only
              on his
              > nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline,
              this was
              > right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started
              eating again,
              > like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself,
              so I would
              > just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be
              spreading ...

              Sounds a lot like Ringworm. You can get some vaginal yeast infection
              cream from the local pharmacy and apply it to the affected areas. You
              want the 2% Miconazole preparation, nothing stronger. The vet can
              prescribe an antifungal medication, but my vet wouldn't give it to my
              heart kitty as it could have exacerbated other problems she had.

              Another thing to do is give your cat a special shampoo treatment (only
              about 10-15 dollars for a bottle from the vet or pet supply store) or,
              in a more extreme case, use sulfur dip. That smells to high heaven;
              if you try it, wear rubber gloves and old clothing, because it will
              stain your skin yellow (as well as anything else light colored, like a
              cat's hair...) You will need to keep this stuff well away from your
              cat's eyes, so an elizabethan collar might be needed.

              Additionally, vacuum EVERYTHING every day, and throw out the used bags
              every day. No reuse of vacuum cleaner bags. Use a bleach solution to
              wipe down hard surfaces that can tolerate bleach. If the cat sleeps
              on blankets or bedding, bleach them too. If you can afford it, get
              your carpets and furniture deep steam cleaned; explain to them what
              you are trying to get rid of.

              Wash your hands frequently; this fungus is closely related to that
              which causes athlete's foot, and its very contagious to humans.
              You'll know you have it if you get a raised, ringshaped itchy area on
              your skin. The miconazole will work as well on you as on the cat.

              Kathy in behalf of Angel Pele, who is finished forever with smelly
              ringworm dips and is happily attacking angels' bare toes.