RE: [feline-heart] Hair Loss?

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      no hair loss here....

      -----Original Message-----
      From: gea@... [mailto:gea@...]
      Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 9:13 PM
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [feline-heart] Hair Loss?

      Hi, all,

      Has anyone (actually, anyone's cat...) had any trouble with hair loss?
      We just noticed Malcolm (who started on Atenolol and Lasix about 3
      weeks ago for HCM) is losing clumps of hair, and most of it seems to
      be from the inside of his thigh. My human PDR says Atenolol can result
      in temporary hair loss in humans, but I also know hair loss can be a
      sign of other more serious problems like diabetes.

      We went to the regular vet for our first follow-up visit yesterday for
      kidney bloodwork--should have results soon.

      Only two coughing episodes in the past three weeks and he's got lots
      of energy!! (He was having several a day for a while there.)

      Thanks much,

      Gail & Malcolm

    • gea@alumni.duke.edu
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        Not even any male-pattern baldness? :^)

        Gail & Malcolm

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
        > no hair loss here....
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2001
          oooppps.....well, yes, but we pretend it's not really happening..... as in
          "denial is a river in egypt!"....haha...

          linda and the boys

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
            Hi all,

            Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only on his
            nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline, this was
            right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started eating again,
            like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself, so I would
            just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be spreading ...
            being me, I immediately thought SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA! but I really don't think
            that's it -- it's not really a rash per se, more like dark crusts and some
            hair loss, but no sores or red spots. It began after he started the
            spironolactone -- has anyone else seen anything like this? It doesn't seem to bother him,
            he's not rubbing or scratching. I've been washing it twice daily and putting
            antibiotic ointment on it, which seems to help.

            Lisa, who will pay thousands for an echo but is hoping for cheap advice for
            hairloss.

          • jen
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 25, 2004
              Lisa,

              The crustiness sounds a lot like ringworm, which despite the name isn't
              always in rings. It can be picked up in clinics, it is rather hard to get rid
              of in that setting. If you have a black light (the glowing purple ones),
              about 60% of ringworm will glow under it. You could try alternating an
              antifungal (ie yeast infection cream) with the antibiotic and see if that
              helps. There are also some good naturopathic herbs, black walnut is
              one my ex used when he got ringworm (from a patient); but I would
              consult a homeopathic vet before I gave them to a heart kitty. Make
              sure you wash your hands well after touching it, ringworm is contagious
              to humans and a real pain to get rid of. The vet can scrap it and give
              you a firm diagnosis if it doesn't resolve as you would like!!

              Good luck,

              jen, deagan and kira the dog
            • kmyelshin
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, lclarizia@a... wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only
                on his
                > nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline,
                this was
                > right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started
                eating again,
                > like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself,
                so I would
                > just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be
                spreading ...

                Sounds a lot like Ringworm. You can get some vaginal yeast infection
                cream from the local pharmacy and apply it to the affected areas. You
                want the 2% Miconazole preparation, nothing stronger. The vet can
                prescribe an antifungal medication, but my vet wouldn't give it to my
                heart kitty as it could have exacerbated other problems she had.

                Another thing to do is give your cat a special shampoo treatment (only
                about 10-15 dollars for a bottle from the vet or pet supply store) or,
                in a more extreme case, use sulfur dip. That smells to high heaven;
                if you try it, wear rubber gloves and old clothing, because it will
                stain your skin yellow (as well as anything else light colored, like a
                cat's hair...) You will need to keep this stuff well away from your
                cat's eyes, so an elizabethan collar might be needed.

                Additionally, vacuum EVERYTHING every day, and throw out the used bags
                every day. No reuse of vacuum cleaner bags. Use a bleach solution to
                wipe down hard surfaces that can tolerate bleach. If the cat sleeps
                on blankets or bedding, bleach them too. If you can afford it, get
                your carpets and furniture deep steam cleaned; explain to them what
                you are trying to get rid of.

                Wash your hands frequently; this fungus is closely related to that
                which causes athlete's foot, and its very contagious to humans.
                You'll know you have it if you get a raised, ringshaped itchy area on
                your skin. The miconazole will work as well on you as on the cat.

                Kathy in behalf of Angel Pele, who is finished forever with smelly
                ringworm dips and is happily attacking angels' bare toes.