Re: Slippery elm bark - what meds is this recommended with?

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
      Lisa,

      I found that over time, all of Pepper's medications & supplements were
      upsetting her stomach. SEB soothes the stomach and helps relieve the
      discomfort. I mixed a small pinch in with her food and also added a bit of
      water since it tends to absorb a lot of water. That way, the food didn't
      get too "dry" in comparison to its normal moisture content.

      I can't say that it's recommended with specific medications - just that it
      helps with the stomach upset that some of them cause.

      Since SEB coats the digestive tract, you don't want to give it shortly
      before giving medication (about an hour) since it will lessen the amount of
      medication that gets absorbed.

      I bought mine in bulk from a local health food store. They have a bin of
      the Frontier brand and you just take what you want. You can also buy it in
      capsules.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
        Thank you Sue - I will pick some up for my boy. Although he could
        probably stand to lose maybe 2 lbs as he's already 15 lbs and won't
        be a yr till later this month (and Dexter looked perfect at 12 lbs),
        I hate for him to do it because his tummy hurts.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

        > Lisa,
        >
        > I found that over time, all of Pepper's medications & supplements
        were
        > upsetting her stomach. SEB soothes the stomach and helps relieve
        the
        > discomfort. I mixed a small pinch in with her food and also added
        a bit of
        > water since it tends to absorb a lot of water. That way, the food
        didn't
        > get too "dry" in comparison to its normal moisture content.
        >
        > I can't say that it's recommended with specific medications - just
        that it
        > helps with the stomach upset that some of them cause.
        >
        > Since SEB coats the digestive tract, you don't want to give it
        shortly
        > before giving medication (about an hour) since it will lessen the
        amount of
        > medication that gets absorbed.
        >
        > I bought mine in bulk from a local health food store. They have a
        bin of
        > the Frontier brand and you just take what you want. You can also
        buy it in
        > capsules.
        >

        > Sue

      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hi Sue,

          Can you give the SEB mixed in the food at the same time as B Complex and
          Taurine.

          Since you can't give it at the same time with the meds, I was wondering
          about vitamins.

          Thanks,

          Candace

          On 7/4/06, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

          > Lisa,
          >
          > I found that over time, all of Pepper's medications & supplements were
          > upsetting her stomach. SEB soothes the stomach and helps relieve the
          > discomfort. I mixed a small pinch in with her food and also added a bit
          > of
          > water since it tends to absorb a lot of water. That way, the food didn't
          > get too "dry" in comparison to its normal moisture content.
          >
          > I can't say that it's recommended with specific medications - just that it
          > helps with the stomach upset that some of them cause.
          >
          > Since SEB coats the digestive tract, you don't want to give it shortly
          > before giving medication (about an hour) since it will lessen the amount
          > of
          > medication that gets absorbed.
          >
          > I bought mine in bulk from a local health food store. They have a bin of
          > the Frontier brand and you just take what you want. You can also buy it
          > in
          > capsules.
          >

          > Sue

        • taloah2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
            Thanks for asking, Candace. I am trying to figure out the logistics
            of this. Whether once a day is sufficient etc. Maybe I need to put
            his supplements in his morning meal without the SEB, then do his
            morning meds. and at night only do SEB in his evening meal, then
            wait at least an hour for his evening meds. Poor little guy - it's
            hard to see his appetite so diminished despite being fed his very
            favorite food.