Re: [FH] Monkey update and questions--rutin, CHF, CRF

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      Kimberly,

      When a cat collects fluid, there are 3 places it can accumulate - in the
      lungs, in the chest cavity, and in the pleural sac. When it collects in the
      chest cavity, it's sometimes hard to treat with diuretics so the most
      effective alternative is a "chest tap". The vet will insert a needle into
      the chest cavity (between the ribs) and draw out the fluid with a syringe.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        I think its worth a try. Blackie was at deaths door and she made it 2
        years no taps but of course she didnt have heart trouble. In the end it
        took her life. But it gave me two wonderful yrs with her. I kept her
        out of all humidity and cold weather and stress. Anyway when we got to
        a point they couldnt get it tapped enough we to made that awful choice.
        The rutin is a great thing. I cut mine up in small pieces (3) and gave
        it in a treat 3 times a day and she just chewed it up treat and all.
        Depends on the cat. Good luck and prayers to you.
        Janie Trampster (HCM),Bomer. Cinammon, Jaguar(Fiv)Butterscotch.
        My heart Angels Sockster,July05 Socks,Oct 05 Speedy,Sep 99 Mr T.
        Jan99 Blackie oct 04 . SillyAug 04 cancer. Snuggles12/ 03 dog
        (20yrs old)
      • protectanimals
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, savionna@... wrote:
          > You probably already know this...but I'm going to add it anyway for
          those who
          > don't. It's really important to chase tabs/caps with a bit of food
          or water
          > so that the pill doesn't get stuck in the esophagus. Using a little
          (repeat:
          > little) butter or oil on the gelcap can also help it slide down.

          I do know about chasing the pills with food or water, but only thanks
          to being on this list! When I think of all those years of pilling
          Monkey dry....yikes! In fact, it's because I do know of the need to
          chase pills with food or water that I needed the gel cap. I can pill
          Monkey pretty easily, so I could easily bing 6 pills down her throat
          in no time. But knowing she needs food after each one....that's when
          six pills became too complicated. I have a way better chance of
          getting her to eat after one gel cap than after each of six pills!
          And we have been using oil with the gel caps. Susan suggested
          butter, so I used Smart Balance, but Monkey didn't like the Smart
          Balance, but seems ok with olive oil.

          > > Those of you with experience with CRF and CHF, what
          > > would be the specific signs you would use to know it was time to
          give
          > > some sub-q's?
          > >
          > The signs caregivers generally use...such as a skin
          pinch "standing" or
          > oozing back slowly instead of snapping right back or gums being
          kind of tacky
          > instead of slick and smooth...already indicate about 7%
          dehydration.

          > There's some information about that at "Fluid and Electrolyte
          Therapy" at:
          > http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/clinsci/wing/fluids/fluids.htm. See
          #7. This
          > recommends using weight as the sign...but that would be complicated
          for you by
          > fluid retention.

          Thanks, I'll check out the site. I know she is already partially
          dehydrated now, which is so sad, but she pretty much seems to be
          herself. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and rock on this....so I
          appreciate your sending me the site. I guess I always thought that
          if I stopped the sub-q's she would go down much more quickly than she
          has, but it's been a week and a day now, and she still seems pretty
          much ok.

          > I'm glad Monkey is still among us. // Rosemary

          Thanks, Rosemary.....I know I have to come to terms with her dying,
          and in many ways I have prepared myself, but I am scared of HOW she
          might die.....

          Meredith with Monkey