Re: [feline-heart] Hair Loss?

  • the chunns
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 10:16 AM
      Dear Gail,

      I don't know anything about what might be causing Malcolm's
      hair loss, but I just wanted to say I think it is great that he's not
      coughing much and he has his energy back. Keep up the good
      work!

      Pat
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        no hair loss here....

      • gea@alumni.duke.edu
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2001
          Not even any male-pattern baldness? :^)

          Gail & Malcolm

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
          > no hair loss here....
          >

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2001
            oooppps.....well, yes, but we pretend it's not really happening..... as in
            "denial is a river in egypt!"....haha...

            linda and the boys

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
              Hi all,

              Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only on his
              nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline, this was
              right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started eating again,
              like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself, so I would
              just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be spreading ...
              being me, I immediately thought SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA! but I really don't think
              that's it -- it's not really a rash per se, more like dark crusts and some
              hair loss, but no sores or red spots. It began after he started the
              spironolactone -- has anyone else seen anything like this? It doesn't seem to bother him,
              he's not rubbing or scratching. I've been washing it twice daily and putting
              antibiotic ointment on it, which seems to help.

              Lisa, who will pay thousands for an echo but is hoping for cheap advice for
              hairloss.

            • jen
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 25, 2004
                Lisa,

                The crustiness sounds a lot like ringworm, which despite the name isn't
                always in rings. It can be picked up in clinics, it is rather hard to get rid
                of in that setting. If you have a black light (the glowing purple ones),
                about 60% of ringworm will glow under it. You could try alternating an
                antifungal (ie yeast infection cream) with the antibiotic and see if that
                helps. There are also some good naturopathic herbs, black walnut is
                one my ex used when he got ringworm (from a patient); but I would
                consult a homeopathic vet before I gave them to a heart kitty. Make
                sure you wash your hands well after touching it, ringworm is contagious
                to humans and a real pain to get rid of. The vet can scrap it and give
                you a firm diagnosis if it doesn't resolve as you would like!!

                Good luck,

                jen, deagan and kira the dog
              • kmyelshin
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, lclarizia@a... wrote:
                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > Baby Boy seems to have developed a rash thingy on his nose ... only
                  on his
                  > nose. It started some time ago as a crust just around the hairline,
                  this was
                  > right after we went to Tufts (about 5 weeks ago) and he started
                  eating again,
                  > like a horse. I assumed it was food and he wasn't cleaning himself,
                  so I would
                  > just clean it off with some warm water. Now it seems to be
                  spreading ...

                  Sounds a lot like Ringworm. You can get some vaginal yeast infection
                  cream from the local pharmacy and apply it to the affected areas. You
                  want the 2% Miconazole preparation, nothing stronger. The vet can
                  prescribe an antifungal medication, but my vet wouldn't give it to my
                  heart kitty as it could have exacerbated other problems she had.

                  Another thing to do is give your cat a special shampoo treatment (only
                  about 10-15 dollars for a bottle from the vet or pet supply store) or,
                  in a more extreme case, use sulfur dip. That smells to high heaven;
                  if you try it, wear rubber gloves and old clothing, because it will
                  stain your skin yellow (as well as anything else light colored, like a
                  cat's hair...) You will need to keep this stuff well away from your
                  cat's eyes, so an elizabethan collar might be needed.

                  Additionally, vacuum EVERYTHING every day, and throw out the used bags
                  every day. No reuse of vacuum cleaner bags. Use a bleach solution to
                  wipe down hard surfaces that can tolerate bleach. If the cat sleeps
                  on blankets or bedding, bleach them too. If you can afford it, get
                  your carpets and furniture deep steam cleaned; explain to them what
                  you are trying to get rid of.

                  Wash your hands frequently; this fungus is closely related to that
                  which causes athlete's foot, and its very contagious to humans.
                  You'll know you have it if you get a raised, ringshaped itchy area on
                  your skin. The miconazole will work as well on you as on the cat.

                  Kathy in behalf of Angel Pele, who is finished forever with smelly
                  ringworm dips and is happily attacking angels' bare toes.