Re: [FH] Monkey update and questions--rutin, CHF, CRF

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi Meredith and Monkey,

      I am sending good thoughts, healing energy and prayers for you and Monkey.

      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi Meredith,

        In a message dated 7/2/06 6:40:34 PM, connecting@... writes:

        > We have so many pills to take now, especially p.m., that I found that
        > by putting them into gel caps, I can get all her pills into her with
        > two pokes down the throat/two gel caps as opposed to six
        > pokes/pills.

        This is a really good idea and I'm glad you're doing it. And I hope the rutin
        works for you.

        You probably already know this...but I'm going to add it anyway for those who
        don't. It's really important to chase tabs/caps with a bit of food or water
        so that the pill doesn't get stuck in the esophagus. Using a little (repeat:
        little) butter or oil on the gelcap can also help it slide down.

        > My question is, is it ok to put the pills in the gel caps for
        > administration?  Will they absorb as usual once the gel cap is
        > dissolved?

        As far as I'm concerned it's ok. Lots of caregivers (myself incl) with
        chronically ill cats who need to give multiple meds do it (not that that makes it
        ok...I'm just saying you're not alone). About the absorption...I take it as
        given that the gelcap and meds will dissolve in the stomach acid, altho I don't
        know how fast (and I've never really looked into it, altho that information
        probably exists somewhere). According to the literature, a gelcap administered
        with water reaches the cat's stomach in 30 seconds nearly 100% of the time...but
        what happens after that depends on what's in the cat's stomach, stomach
        integrity, capsule composition, etc.

        > Those of you with experience with CRF and CHF, what
        > would be the specific signs you would use to know it was time to give
        > some sub-q's?

        The signs caregivers generally use...such as a skin pinch "standing" or
        oozing back slowly instead of snapping right back or gums being kind of tacky
        instead of slick and smooth...already indicate about 7% dehydration.

        There's some information about that at "Fluid and Electrolyte Therapy" at:
        http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/clinsci/wing/fluids/fluids.htm. See #7. This
        recommends using weight as the sign...but that would be complicated for you by
        fluid retention.

        I'm glad Monkey is still among us. // Rosemary

      • Cannon,Kimberly
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          What exactly is a chest tap?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
            Kimberly,

            When a cat collects fluid, there are 3 places it can accumulate - in the
            lungs, in the chest cavity, and in the pleural sac. When it collects in the
            chest cavity, it's sometimes hard to treat with diuretics so the most
            effective alternative is a "chest tap". The vet will insert a needle into
            the chest cavity (between the ribs) and draw out the fluid with a syringe.

            Sue

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
              I think its worth a try. Blackie was at deaths door and she made it 2
              years no taps but of course she didnt have heart trouble. In the end it
              took her life. But it gave me two wonderful yrs with her. I kept her
              out of all humidity and cold weather and stress. Anyway when we got to
              a point they couldnt get it tapped enough we to made that awful choice.
              The rutin is a great thing. I cut mine up in small pieces (3) and gave
              it in a treat 3 times a day and she just chewed it up treat and all.
              Depends on the cat. Good luck and prayers to you.
              Janie Trampster (HCM),Bomer. Cinammon, Jaguar(Fiv)Butterscotch.
              My heart Angels Sockster,July05 Socks,Oct 05 Speedy,Sep 99 Mr T.
              Jan99 Blackie oct 04 . SillyAug 04 cancer. Snuggles12/ 03 dog
              (20yrs old)
            • protectanimals
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, savionna@... wrote:
                > You probably already know this...but I'm going to add it anyway for
                those who
                > don't. It's really important to chase tabs/caps with a bit of food
                or water
                > so that the pill doesn't get stuck in the esophagus. Using a little
                (repeat:
                > little) butter or oil on the gelcap can also help it slide down.

                I do know about chasing the pills with food or water, but only thanks
                to being on this list! When I think of all those years of pilling
                Monkey dry....yikes! In fact, it's because I do know of the need to
                chase pills with food or water that I needed the gel cap. I can pill
                Monkey pretty easily, so I could easily bing 6 pills down her throat
                in no time. But knowing she needs food after each one....that's when
                six pills became too complicated. I have a way better chance of
                getting her to eat after one gel cap than after each of six pills!
                And we have been using oil with the gel caps. Susan suggested
                butter, so I used Smart Balance, but Monkey didn't like the Smart
                Balance, but seems ok with olive oil.

                > > Those of you with experience with CRF and CHF, what
                > > would be the specific signs you would use to know it was time to
                give
                > > some sub-q's?
                > >
                > The signs caregivers generally use...such as a skin
                pinch "standing" or
                > oozing back slowly instead of snapping right back or gums being
                kind of tacky
                > instead of slick and smooth...already indicate about 7%
                dehydration.

                > There's some information about that at "Fluid and Electrolyte
                Therapy" at:
                > http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/clinsci/wing/fluids/fluids.htm. See
                #7. This
                > recommends using weight as the sign...but that would be complicated
                for you by
                > fluid retention.

                Thanks, I'll check out the site. I know she is already partially
                dehydrated now, which is so sad, but she pretty much seems to be
                herself. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and rock on this....so I
                appreciate your sending me the site. I guess I always thought that
                if I stopped the sub-q's she would go down much more quickly than she
                has, but it's been a week and a day now, and she still seems pretty
                much ok.

                > I'm glad Monkey is still among us. // Rosemary

                Thanks, Rosemary.....I know I have to come to terms with her dying,
                and in many ways I have prepared myself, but I am scared of HOW she
                might die.....

                Meredith with Monkey