Denial is a River in Egypt

  • brunobaby
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2001
      Voula wrote:

      > With my Sachie with her kidneys, it was
      >likely going to be a slower process, but I know many >of us have written of
      >the fear of a sudden problem from the heart.

      During Pongo's final days, I went to see a Pet Loss counselor at the Animal
      Medical Center. I told him how crazy I'd been feeling the past few days,
      afraid to leave the house or even leave the room because he wouldn't be
      alive when I got back.

      I had to keep telling myself, "I won't worry about it just for the time it
      takes me to do this project, or go on this interview, or wash my hair. My
      life has to go on."

      The counselor said it wasn't crazy at all, in view of Pongo's collapse the
      weekend before and the nature of Cardiomyopathy.

      "With kidney disease or cancer, the process is slower and you have more
      preparation. With heart disease, you often have no warning."

      He also said that "denial" had gotten a bad rap. If you thought about the
      statistics for highway accidents, you'd never get in your car. It takes a
      small amount of denial to get through any crisis.

      I was never in denial about Pongo's illness or his prognosis. I knew his
      heart would get him eventually, but I also knew that he was a strong cat
      and was getting great care. When we could see his luck start to run out, it
      required a tremendous effort of will to keep going on with our daily
      routines and still be ready to drop everything at a moment's notice to deal
      with the inevitable.

      > You know because she spent time
      >in hospital three times since Christmas,
      >I got to know what it would be
      >like not to have her at home. But in another
      >way, I sort of feel like she
      >is at hospital, if you know what I mean.

      Yes. Pongo had had a few overnight stays at the vet or the hospital in the
      past few years. The strange thing to get used to wasn't that he wasn't
      home. It's that he wasn't *anywhere*.

      >Since October when Lucy came she
      >has slept in another room, because she pounced on >Pebbles

      That's one of our concerns about putting a newbie with Phoebe. Except we'd
      be concerned for the newbie! ;-)

      >I have a strong intuition that my Rosie will come. >(Or perhaps a boy,
      >in which case I need a different name!

      Yes, he or she will come, the way Lucy did. There are is no shortage of
      great cats in this world.

      And I'm sure our vet will have plenty of candidates for us eventually. He
      certainly knows we're reliable owners.

      --Melinda