RE: [FH] Hurricanes and heart kitties

  • Linda Cuéllar Irrgang
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      Yes, we live in Houston……….are you in the area? I will absolutely not
      leave my boys no matter what………do you have a plan?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
        Kimberly,

        Although we are rarely affected by hurricanes here in the northeast, I did
        have an incident this past winter when the power went out for an extended
        period and it made me seriously think about that issue. It was bitterly
        cold and the inside temperature was down in the 50s. I could see it was
        starting to affect Pepper and I got ready to go. That's when the power came
        back on.

        I have all her vet records and complete care instructions in a folder. That
        includes a list of all her medications and a "packing list" for her
        necessities. I try to keep things in one spot so if I had to grab them and
        run, it wouldn't be that bad to gather together.

        The list includes medication, vet records & care instructions, food, bottled
        water, bowls, litter box & litter, bedding along with a crate and collar
        (with ID) / leash. Make sure you have stuff for yourself like clothes,
        food, water, phone and money.

        You also need to know where to go. If you don't have friends or relatives
        in a safer area, check for pet-friendly hotels ahead of time -
        http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links2.html#travel

        Always look at areas further than you expect to go since you'll probably
        have to go far to find a place with a vacancy.

        The experience did scare me and it certainly wasn't an emergency.

        Sue