Re: [FH] Spooky

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
      Hi Linda,

      What a testament Spooky is that there is life after diagnosis of heart disease! Good job to the both of you! I would definitely get Spooky to a vet then a cardiologist as soon as possible. These could be signs of his disease progressing. Definitely syringe feed if he won't eat! Not eating will make things worse! As far as Spooky being the favorite - that is how we all feel. This disease seems to pick them out of the crowd, I think!

      Once you see the vet/cardiologist let us know how things go. We can give you some information on supplements that you may want to give Spooky once he starts feeling a little better. The supplements will help with the disease and Spooky's overall well-being. Also, I don't know how long you have been with this group but we are glad you joined and let us know if you have any other questions.

      Leah and her cats

    • Linda Adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
        I've had just the most horrible afternoon. I took Spooky to the vet and he
        was running about 20 minutes behind schedule and all their exam rooms were
        full so I had to sit in the waiting room. Spooky was acting rather anxious
        and breathing hard ( and in the car as well). When we got back to the exam
        room, he started panting in his carrier. Once the vet came in and asked me
        some questions, he took Spooky out of the carrier and proceeded to take his
        temperature with a rectal thermometer.Spooky went wild and went into cardiac
        arrest. The vet rushed him to the surgical area and tried to resuscitate
        him but he passed away.

        So, I lost him by adding the stress to him of taking him to the vet.

        I'm just devastated and my husband is too.

        Thanks for all your kind and helpful messages over the weekend. I want to
        reiterate that I know how lucky I am to have had such a fabulous kitty and
        to have him survive for eight long years after his original diagnosis of
        HCM. He lived a long and wonderful 15-year kitty life and I will cherish
        all the flops on the floor to have his belly rubbed, and all the love he
        gave me for all those years. It will be odd tomorrow to not to have him be
        the first thing I care for every morning when I get up, after all these
        years.

        Lin and Angel Spooky

      • Kerry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
          Linda, I am so very sad to hear about Spooky. Please do not blame
          yourself for doing what needed to be done. You couldn't have known
          that the vet would have stressed him that much.

          I will pray for you and your family to find peace.

          Kerry

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Adams" <vze2dvs7@...> wrote:

          > I've had just the most horrible afternoon. I took Spooky to the vet
          and he
          > was running about 20 minutes behind schedule and all their exam
          rooms were
          > full so I had to sit in the waiting room. Spooky was acting rather
          anxious
          > and breathing hard ( and in the car as well). When we got back to
          the exam
          > room, he started panting in his carrier. Once the vet came in and
          asked me
          > some questions, he took Spooky out of the carrier and proceeded to
          take his
          > temperature with a rectal thermometer.Spooky went wild and went into
          cardiac
          > arrest. The vet rushed him to the surgical area and tried to
          resuscitate
          > him but he passed away.
          >

          > So, I lost him by adding the stress to him of taking him to the vet.
          >

          > I'm just devastated and my husband is too.
          >

          > Thanks for all your kind and helpful messages over the weekend. I
          want to
          > reiterate that I know how lucky I am to have had such a fabulous
          kitty and
          > to have him survive for eight long years after his original diagnosis of
          > HCM. He lived a long and wonderful 15-year kitty life and I will
          cherish
          > all the flops on the floor to have his belly rubbed, and all the love he
          > gave me for all those years. It will be odd tomorrow to not to have
          him be
          > the first thing I care for every morning when I get up, after all these
          > years.
          >

          > Lin and Angel Spooky

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
            Linda,

            I am so sorry for your loss. But I must say that it was definitely not your fault! It sounds like Spooky was in congestive heart failure if he was having trouble breathing. Breathing hard and panting is usually a big sign of this. That is probably why he was acting strangely lately. Kitties are so good at hiding these problems from us until it is or almost too late. Spooky needed to go to the vet, there was nothing you could have done to prevent this. I am sure that is was very traumatic to witness and heartwrenching to come so unexpectantly, for that I am truly sorry. But what a good mommie you must have been to have found out his illness so early on and to keep him so healthy for so long! May you find some peace in knowing that.

            Leah and her cats

          • Belinda
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
              I'm so sorry that things turned out this way. My prayers are with
              you.

              --

              Belinda
              happiness is being owned by cats ...