Hurricanes and heart kitties

  • Cannon,Kimberly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      I was wondering if anyone else lives in hurricane country, and if so how do
      you deal with possible evacuations, loss of power etc with your heart
      kitties. They keep telling us to be ready for bad hurricanes and have an
      evacuation plan this year in the Houston Texas area.
    • Linda Cuéllar Irrgang
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
        Yes, we live in Houston……….are you in the area? I will absolutely not
        leave my boys no matter what………do you have a plan?

        I was wondering if anyone else lives in hurricane country, and if so how do
        you deal with possible evacuations, loss of power etc with your heart
        kitties. They keep telling us to be ready for bad hurricanes and have an
        evacuation plan this year in the Houston Texas area.

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Cat
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health+insurance&w1=Cat+health+insu
        rance&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions
        &w6=Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=jCcdGI6DrfclZUZfEbhKjQ> health
        insurance

        Cat
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health+care&w1=Cat+health+insurance
        &w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=H
        ealth+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=sHAUYnOXqX421iiMASQuIw> health care

        Pet
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Pet+health+cat&w1=Cat+health+insurance&
        w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=He
        alth+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=Lcs7tukQKLtd6OGdgxZoJw> health cat

        Cat
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health&w1=Cat+health+insurance&w2=C
        at+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=Health
        +problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=frCXB-F06hVpm6m8Rmdyvw> health

        Heart
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Heart+conditions&w1=Cat+health+insuranc
        e&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=
        Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=_zAGI3mljEo4tgsaN5zYFw> conditions

        Health
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Health+problem+in+cat&w1=Cat+health+ins
        urance&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+condition
        s&w6=Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=UASqf76JeCyHxX8J7sXBdA> problem
        in cat

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "feline-heart
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart> " on the web.

        _____

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
          Kimberly,

          Although we are rarely affected by hurricanes here in the northeast, I did
          have an incident this past winter when the power went out for an extended
          period and it made me seriously think about that issue. It was bitterly
          cold and the inside temperature was down in the 50s. I could see it was
          starting to affect Pepper and I got ready to go. That's when the power came
          back on.

          I have all her vet records and complete care instructions in a folder. That
          includes a list of all her medications and a "packing list" for her
          necessities. I try to keep things in one spot so if I had to grab them and
          run, it wouldn't be that bad to gather together.

          The list includes medication, vet records & care instructions, food, bottled
          water, bowls, litter box & litter, bedding along with a crate and collar
          (with ID) / leash. Make sure you have stuff for yourself like clothes,
          food, water, phone and money.

          You also need to know where to go. If you don't have friends or relatives
          in a safer area, check for pet-friendly hotels ahead of time -
          http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links2.html#travel

          Always look at areas further than you expect to go since you'll probably
          have to go far to find a place with a vacancy.

          The experience did scare me and it certainly wasn't an emergency.

          Sue