Re: [FH] Spooky

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2006
      Linda,

      I would get him to a vet ASAP. It could be that he's going into congestive
      heart failure and you can't wait to treat that. You NEED to know what's
      wrong and I wouldn't wait until Monday to do it.

      If he is well enough to stay home, then hire a vet tech to give him his meds
      or do the special care while you're gone. I would not board him because of
      the stress factor.

      Try to schedule an appointment with the cardiologist too. I was lucky when
      my girl was first diagnosed. I got an appointment within 2-3 days because
      of a cancellation so you never know. Maybe you can contact your old vet for
      the referral.

      Good luck!

      Sue

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
        Hi Linda,

        In a message dated 6/3/06 10:48:03 AM, vze2dvs7@... writes:

        > I will say
        > that he used to be a 17 lb. FAT cat and over the past year and a
        > half has gradually lost weight and now weighs about 12 lbs.

        Is 12 lbs around his ideal weight?

        What does the cat eat (brand, flavor, canned or dry)?

        Cats generally tend to achieve and maintain an appropriate weight for their
        frame when they eat the right amt of calories from the right sources. The right
        amt of calories is *about* 20-30 cal per lb of ideal body weight per day,
        adjusted for individual activity level, metabolism, age, etc. The right sources
        are a high-quality, low-carbohydrate, well-balanced, moisture-rich, meat-based
        diet that comes as close as possible to the nutritional profile of a typical
        prey animal.

        > I did give
        > him his Dilacor; I hope it's o.k. I gave it to him even without food.

        It might be a good idea to chase the pill with a little treat (if there's
        something he likes esp) or at least a syringe of water, so that the pill does get
        down the esophagus.

        > Do these sound like the signs like he is starting to have heart
        > failure?

        I can't evaluate that. But it could be that he's nauseous from the
        medications, which is not uncommon. Cats have very sensitive systems...and there are
        many synthetic meds that upset the digestion and contribute to inappetance.

        > I've had 2 cats with cancer, so I know how to syringe feed.  Would
        > you suggest I start doing that with Spooky?  I know they have to eat
        > or their system starts to shut down.

        If he's not eating at all, then yes, it would be a good idea to assist feed.
        Eukanuba Maximum Calorie has about 56 calories per oz, which makes it a more
        efficient product to syringe feed than Hill's a/d or regular canned food or
        baby-food meat...altho all of those work as well.

        Some cats will also go for general "assistance" when feeding without the
        syringe. Eg, some will eat tiny amts off the finger or a spoon...or when the food
        is topped with something smelly (eg Parmesan cheese or dehydrated fish
        flakes)...or when the food is warmed or soupy with some warmed broth. It's also very
        important to keep the whole atmosphere around the food as stressfree as
        possible, b/c the more anxious and disappointed we are that "He's never gonna eat,"
        the more stressed the cat is. When mine won't eat, I lie on the floor with
        them and makes lame jokes and tell them how much I love them and how yummy the
        food is and all the best cats get finger fed and I know they don't feel good but
        it's really important they try a little bit, blahblahblah...anything to keep
        the atmosphere positive, loving, and in service to the cat.

        > I would appreciate ANY suggestions you have.

        Something to consider is that the cat is nauseous and might feel like eating
        again with a little digestive support. Something like slippery elm bark
        (available at most health food stores for like $5) can soothe the dig. tract. If
        you'd like to use it and need more info, search the archives or just post again.
        //Rosemary