Spooky

  • laja1515
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
      Hi, My name is Linda and my 15 year old cat, Spooky was diagnosed
      with HCM in 1998 when he was 7. First, I want to say how incredibly
      lucky I feel to have had him do so well for so many years and he
      truly has led a great cat life.

      Since his diagnosis in 1998, he has been on a daily dose of
      Dilacor. Last year when I took him in for his annual heart check to
      the vetrinary cardiologist, he added in Atenelol...he had a bad
      reaction to this drug (quickly lost weight, became extremely
      lethargic, etc.) so I after consulting my vet, I stopped giving him
      the Atenelol and he perked back up in a week or so. I will say
      that he used to be a 17 lb. FAT cat and over the past year and a
      half has gradually lost weight and now weighs about 12 lbs.

      The past couple days he has not eaten hardly anything. He has
      always loved breakfast time and was the first of my cats to run to
      the plate. But yesterday and today he just sat there and did not
      show any sign or interest in eating. I plan to syringe feed him
      later today if I can't urge him to eat some stinky food. I did give
      him his Dilacor; I hope it's o.k. I gave it to him even without food.

      He also has not jumped up to his normal bed position, but has wanted
      to sleep on a soft bathroom rug on the floor.

      If I don't see any improvement today or tomorrow, I plan to make a
      vet appointment on Monday. Unfortunately, my vet just moved away a
      couple weeks ago and I'll have to take him somewhere he's never been
      before. I could call the vetrinary cardiologist, but he only
      accepts patients by referral and it usually takes weeks to get in to
      see him.

      I also am scheduled to go away on a business trip next Tuesday
      through Saturday. My husband will be at home but is just not the
      cat care-taker when they are sick. I can't get out of this trip
      since I am traveling with the vice-chairman of my company. I think
      it would just be more stressful on Spooky to board him---he seems
      generally happy, purring, but just won't eat, or picks at his food.

      Here are my questions:

      Do these sound like the signs like he is starting to have heart
      failure?

      I've had 2 cats with cancer, so I know how to syringe feed. Would
      you suggest I start doing that with Spooky? I know they have to eat
      or their system starts to shut down.

      I would appreciate ANY suggestions you have. He is my absolute
      favorite cat of all time (and my husband's too.) He has always been
      incredibly sweet and never scratched, bitten, etc. and flops on the
      floor for a tummy rub all the time.

      Thank you for your help,

      Linda and Spooky (we call him Booky since my nephew couldn't say his
      name when he was a little boy!)
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
        Hi Linda,

        What a testament Spooky is that there is life after diagnosis of heart disease! Good job to the both of you! I would definitely get Spooky to a vet then a cardiologist as soon as possible. These could be signs of his disease progressing. Definitely syringe feed if he won't eat! Not eating will make things worse! As far as Spooky being the favorite - that is how we all feel. This disease seems to pick them out of the crowd, I think!

        Once you see the vet/cardiologist let us know how things go. We can give you some information on supplements that you may want to give Spooky once he starts feeling a little better. The supplements will help with the disease and Spooky's overall well-being. Also, I don't know how long you have been with this group but we are glad you joined and let us know if you have any other questions.

        Leah and her cats

      • Linda Adams
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
          I've had just the most horrible afternoon. I took Spooky to the vet and he
          was running about 20 minutes behind schedule and all their exam rooms were
          full so I had to sit in the waiting room. Spooky was acting rather anxious
          and breathing hard ( and in the car as well). When we got back to the exam
          room, he started panting in his carrier. Once the vet came in and asked me
          some questions, he took Spooky out of the carrier and proceeded to take his
          temperature with a rectal thermometer.Spooky went wild and went into cardiac
          arrest. The vet rushed him to the surgical area and tried to resuscitate
          him but he passed away.

          So, I lost him by adding the stress to him of taking him to the vet.

          I'm just devastated and my husband is too.

          Thanks for all your kind and helpful messages over the weekend. I want to
          reiterate that I know how lucky I am to have had such a fabulous kitty and
          to have him survive for eight long years after his original diagnosis of
          HCM. He lived a long and wonderful 15-year kitty life and I will cherish
          all the flops on the floor to have his belly rubbed, and all the love he
          gave me for all those years. It will be odd tomorrow to not to have him be
          the first thing I care for every morning when I get up, after all these
          years.

          Lin and Angel Spooky

        • Kerry
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
            Linda, I am so very sad to hear about Spooky. Please do not blame
            yourself for doing what needed to be done. You couldn't have known
            that the vet would have stressed him that much.

            I will pray for you and your family to find peace.

            Kerry

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Adams" <vze2dvs7@...> wrote:

            > I've had just the most horrible afternoon. I took Spooky to the vet
            and he
            > was running about 20 minutes behind schedule and all their exam
            rooms were
            > full so I had to sit in the waiting room. Spooky was acting rather
            anxious
            > and breathing hard ( and in the car as well). When we got back to
            the exam
            > room, he started panting in his carrier. Once the vet came in and
            asked me
            > some questions, he took Spooky out of the carrier and proceeded to
            take his
            > temperature with a rectal thermometer.Spooky went wild and went into
            cardiac
            > arrest. The vet rushed him to the surgical area and tried to
            resuscitate
            > him but he passed away.
            >

            > So, I lost him by adding the stress to him of taking him to the vet.
            >

            > I'm just devastated and my husband is too.
            >

            > Thanks for all your kind and helpful messages over the weekend. I
            want to
            > reiterate that I know how lucky I am to have had such a fabulous
            kitty and
            > to have him survive for eight long years after his original diagnosis of
            > HCM. He lived a long and wonderful 15-year kitty life and I will
            cherish
            > all the flops on the floor to have his belly rubbed, and all the love he
            > gave me for all those years. It will be odd tomorrow to not to have
            him be
            > the first thing I care for every morning when I get up, after all these
            > years.
            >

            > Lin and Angel Spooky

          • Leah Ferron
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
              Linda,

              I am so sorry for your loss. But I must say that it was definitely not your fault! It sounds like Spooky was in congestive heart failure if he was having trouble breathing. Breathing hard and panting is usually a big sign of this. That is probably why he was acting strangely lately. Kitties are so good at hiding these problems from us until it is or almost too late. Spooky needed to go to the vet, there was nothing you could have done to prevent this. I am sure that is was very traumatic to witness and heartwrenching to come so unexpectantly, for that I am truly sorry. But what a good mommie you must have been to have found out his illness so early on and to keep him so healthy for so long! May you find some peace in knowing that.

              Leah and her cats

            • Belinda
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
                I'm so sorry that things turned out this way. My prayers are with
                you.

                --

                Belinda
                happiness is being owned by cats ...